Author Topic: Books  (Read 414 times)

Sheila

Books
« on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:27:05 AM »
Today seems like a day to sit in the conservatory, listening to the rain and reading.

I borrow library books and read them on my i-pad.  It's great but I think it could lead to the death of libraries as we know them.

I've got a new Lesley Pearse book to read.  My two favourites by her are 'Trust Me' and 'Remember Me' both based on real people and happenings.

Michael Rolls

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
Must admit that well over 90% of my reading (apart from the newspaper) is on my iPad - find it so convenient. It also has a library of nearly 800 volumes on it - no way could I find room in the house for even a small fraction of that number
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
Reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham at the moment.. My time with it is limited to the 10/15 minutes before sleep these days..Tiddly-drinking I calls it.. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:26:26 PM »
i quite like Grisham
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
Me too, and he was one of Veronica’s favourite authors
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »
Favourite authors......Tolstoy, Dostoyesky, Emile Zola,  Dante Alighieri, Cesar's De bello Gallico, Steinbeck, Jeffrey Archer.....and BOB, the street cat....and of course, so many others....Never read Rowlings...or any modern ones.  In fact, I do not read anymore.  I tend to watch Documentaries and the Planet we live on...gmx

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »
I like John Grisham too.  Ian Rankin too.  Mainly crime novels.  Can't do chick lit ang granny moss, mostly too highbrow for me although I like what I've read of Steinbeck.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Scrumpy

« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »

I have just picked up a book that I read years ago .. I know that I enjoyed reading it so I am giving it another go.

The Other Side of the Bridge.  Mary Lawson
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:55:52 PM »
Loved Steinbeck’s work, although not read any of it for a long time. His fiction was superb, but ‘Once there was a war’ was one of the, perhaps the most, moving that I have ever read. A different platform, but it rates alongside Robert Capa’s ‘Images of War’ in my estimation
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2020, 07:37:00 PM »
Stainkecks  Sweet Thursday is very moving....and Jeffrey Archers  Kane and Able....His short story " Not a penny more or a penny less.....A very entertaining Con story....gmx

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »
I stopped going to the Library a while ago, I borrowed audio books for several years but they decided to have a makeover and the end result was less space. They moved most of the audio books downstairs with just a couple of shelves of them upstairs. When I moaned about the lack of choice I was told....You just ask for the ones you want by Title and it will be brought up for you. That's no good to me though as I like to browse and read the bit on the back to see if I fancy the book. So I told them that and and she just shrugged. I ended up leaving my membership card with her and telling her to close my account. Now I download books from a sharing site and have a biggish library stored up on my hard drive.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »
Like you, not been to the library in years - but to be fair, it was - and is, I guess - small, serving a population of only a few thousand. Instead, I have built up a library on Amazon, currently nearly 800 books, which physically I would have no chance of accommodating

\Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »

I rarely read fiction finding real life far more interesting.

Currently reading Enemy of the State by Tommy Robinson.  His mission is anti radical Islam, he certainly is not racist and it seems there has been an establishment witch hunt to shut him up. 

Apparently the EDL started up in response to the  returning soldiers march through Luton were muslims were allowed to scream abuse at them whilst being protected by the police.

What ever you may think of him he certainly is a very brave man. I'm still reading, so will update later.