So long and thanks for all the fish

klondike

Re: Trolls
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2020, 03:33:53 PM »

Hugh

« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »
Were you hoping to provoke an angry response?   

No  ;D  I just hope member will read and understand what I have said. Certainly do not want any angry responses.

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2020, 04:29:59 PM »
That's one I'd forgotten.
http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15794.msg252790.html#msg252790
I do hope you wife's knee has got better. Knee pain can be a terrible thing.

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »
Troll is often used in an attempt to paint someone with strong views, or who doesn't agree with someone, in a bad light, quite often when the person is incapable of maintaining a debate.

Just like racist is thrown at people who argue against uncontrolled immigration & xenophobe is thrown at those of us who voted for Brexit.

I can't say that I've come across anyone on this forum who I would consider to fulfil the criteria of an internet troll.

Nor me, but lets balance up the insults! Snowflake, virtue signaller, and do-gooder get bandied around too.  😯 

Hugh, I think this forum is less troubled by trolls and troublemakers than most.  Some days I hardly read anything, I might just look at some of Coastal's lovely pics.  I like the variety here.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2020, 04:47:13 PM »
Nor me, but lets balance up the insults! Snowflake, virtue signaller, and do-gooder get bandied around too.  😯 

Hugh, I think this forum is less troubled by trolls and troublemakers than most.  Some days I hardly read anything, I might just look at some of Coastal's lively pics.  I like the variety here.

All those are descriptors used quite regularly by the media & even politicians.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Hugh

« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2020, 04:49:08 PM »
I only know one other, so I must agree with you GM

Alex22

« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
He's inoffensive but I still find the repetition and casual assumption that I'm daft enough to actually believe his posts annoying. A newish poster was admonishing somebody for their response to some of his rubbish just the other day so it certainly shows the board in a bad light.

That was me being given down the banks by a new person who obviously didn't know Brian's history.  Brian knows his repetitive posts bring a lot of Gifs and the like, that's why he does it I think.  When Brian has a problem we're all here for him - he knows that too.

Jacqueline

« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
Brian's  OK, he loves his dogs and family and reminds us of the perils of not having a  private Pension.

klondike

« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2020, 08:37:21 PM »
that's why he does it I think. 
I really have no idea why he does it. He has occasionally complained about some responses. Certainly a thread started by Brian usually gets more attention and responses that most others do on a regular basis. Few have anything to do with the subject though and a casual visitor might go away with the impression that we are all certifiable rather than just Brian.

Scrumpy

« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »

When Brian puts up a thread it is our cue to talk about anything we like..
He might say stupid things.. and sometimes he would like to (destroy) certain people.. but what the hell !!.... Just think yourself lucky that some have fairly clear minds and use them in an intelligent way.....
Mind you I have read that some would like to dispose of some others.. and it wasn't our Brian.. I don't think he is packing a gun..  ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

klondike

« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »
I think Brian's packing must be a bit defective at times after a man in a pub told me Brian was definitely a sandwich short of a picnic.

Temperence

« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2020, 01:02:53 PM »

That was me being given down the banks by a new person who obviously didn't know Brian's history.

Well I may not have been fully aware of Brian's "history" but this thread was a shameful example of a witch hunt concerning something I do know about - being a cleaner:-

http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,25448.0.html

Poster A makes a light hearted throwaway remark to the previous explaining her technique of posing as a cleaner with a scouse accent to deter cold callers.

There is nothing in the least disrespectful to cleaners about this advice. I can’t recall how many times Ive told an unwanted caller that I’m the cleaner/housekeeper in order to terminate the conversation and continue with my work. Interestingly A's own cleaner confirmed that she does this.

Poster B takes the remark completely out of context, twists and distorts it in a manner which appears at best, foolish and at worst, malicious.

Posters C, D, E et. al. then follow up in a noisy little claque chanting on about how their great aunt fanny was a cleaner etc in a wondrous display of reverse snobbery. This came across as far more patronising to cleaners than anything A had implied.

Interestingly 3 posters (Xetog, Scrumpy, and Ashy) did have the  intelligence to recognise that no offence was intended by the original remark. However none of them challenged poster B or the sinister little clique for their mistake.

Then some are astonished that poster A gets annoyed at such misappropriation of their innocent remark and refers to a bunch of posters as operating with only 1 brain cell between them!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

em

« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2020, 02:02:14 PM »
I haven't come across any cliques,sinister or otherwise,on this forum.Sounds fascinating.

klondike

« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2020, 02:27:14 PM »
The biggest misunderstanding of all comes from not knowing the posters here and proceeding to rather frequently offer criticism due to that lack of understanding. Absolutely none of the regulars will be in any way surprised by that thread.