Author Topic: Clicking Radiator  (Read 939 times)

klondike

Re: Clicking Radiator
« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2020, 06:02:18 PM »
I always hold a rag over the key as I do that job. Another advantage of plastic pipes is you don't have to nearly so much. There is a small section of copper in my system. The gas is caused by an electro chemical reaction between the copper pipes and the steel rads. As well as the gas that makes the black sludge and eventually holes in the rads. I think it's hydrogen and copper oxide but I'd need to look that up to be sure.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:25:59 PM »
Dis-similar metals in contact always causes corrosion. That is usually manifested as oxidation I think. The worst in my humble experience are aluminium and copper.

Alex22

« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
A L E X

Diasi

« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:01:47 PM »
I've got a new'ish boiler Phil, well about 7 years old, but most of the radiators are old apart from one.  Yes it gets warm at top and bottom................maybe I'll get used to the clicking 🙂
I was just worried it might blow up !

What is the other valve for  ?  it looks like I'd need a pair of pliers to turn it, as the plastic cap doesn't have any kind of ' grip' inside it.

Thanks for the help everyone  👍

It's a balancing valve, used to adjust the radiators nearest to the boiler to force the hot water to the radiators which are furthest away from the boiler.

We don't have to balance our heating system as all the radiators run off a manifold & all get an equal supply of hot water.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alex22

« Reply #34 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »
The others seem to be ok so I won't fiddle about.  Normally when you bleed a radiator after the air has hissed there's perhaps a trickle of greyish water.  On my utility room radiator the water was gushing out - honest !  Funny now I look back, me with soaked slippers, but at the time it was traumatic  😎

I'll shut up about my bedroom problem now boys :)

Diasi

« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »

I'll shut up about my bedroom problem now boys :)

I'm sure there aren't any problems that one or other of us can't sort out.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alex22

« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:38:56 PM »

That's what I thought !  😎😎 😎 😎