Author Topic: having a meal out,  (Read 577 times)

Alfred

having a meal out,
« on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
So a family friend has invited you out to a restaurant,  and anything goes, so what would you order,

starter;  i would like  mulligatawny soup.  with croutons
as a main course;  nice large steak, chips, tomatoes, mushrooms , eggs,

desserts;   apple pie and custard,or ice cream,

followed by a nice bottle of white wine,

tea or coffee to follow,

Q;  what would you order,

sparky

Re: having a meal out,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »
Almost all of my old friends have now stuffed it so it would be like an invite to the Last supper, and an invite from any new younger friends would end up with me paying the bill, so it would, have to be standing at  that van in the A40 layby, for dog roll and a cup of tea.

biglouis

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »
Chinese or Thai banquet.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »
I'd not want a starter but almost the exact same main course as Alfred, finish up with trifle or ice cream then coffee. I don't drink alcohol of any type.

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:04:31 AM »
Thai would be nice, or Italian depending on the restaurant.  Like Alfred, I'd probably go for a steak. If there was a choice of starter or pudding, pudding wins every time for me. Either cheesecake or trifle. Glass of wine with the meal, coffee afterwards and possibly a small port. I'm full just thinking about it!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:10:49 AM »
its funny you mentioning Port granny
i goa there is a port-wine, that is about a pound a bottle
it was my fav tipple
the waiter kept a bottle in the freezer and it came out the bottle as slush
lol... but it was a great drink, i wish i could treat you all to a glass this xmas
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

granny moss

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:18:54 AM »
Starter, Italian platter with mix of mortadella, salami, olives, etc....Pasta asciutta alle vongole, then, an original tirami su with curacao liquore,and ice cream with panna montata and Amarena cherries.... a Lacrima Cristi from the vesuvio hills, or a Nebuloso Piemontese,... All of this if I am not paying.......gmx  8)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:20:38 AM »
Lacrima Cristi - haven't seen that mentioned in decades!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:22:29 AM »
Funny you should mention Goa Crabby.  There is a place called Betty's near The Holiday Inn which is fabulous.  Their Vindaloo is fantastic.  We arrived a couple of years ago and Paul had Vindaloo for lunch, went back in the evening and had the same again!

Their garlic prawns are fabulous.  I think they keep the prawns alive in a net in the River Sal which runs behind the restaurant.

It looks as though we are stuck in England and unable to go to a restaurant but I would love to go for a Chinese banquet, although maybe not with my little granddaughter.  She can eat crispy duck very quickly and I hardly get a look in.

granny moss

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:29:04 AM »
"The tears of Jesus".....it is from the vines growing on the vesuvio ashes terrain.....I ordered a bottle from a merchant in Norwich, but it was not the same. Bourbone is another lovely drink....And I love Amaretto di Saronno liquor...and Limoncello from the Cinque terre....Remember Creme de Mint ??? ??and Anisetta....? When I was a baby a was given to suck bread dough tied in a clean hankie and soaked in wine..... :o :D gmx

crabbyob

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »
in my part of Scotland
when a child is teething we dip their dummy in whisky at night... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
Crème de menthe - something else I have neither seen nor heard of in many years
Mike

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
I would go for an old fashioned roast beef dinner with Yorkshire pudding, followed by Apple pie with vanilla ice cream.  One of my favourite liqueurs is called 43  it's a Spanish almond and citrus fruit flavoured drink.   Quite sweet but lovely in small doses  :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
Back in the day my favourite would be a toss up between a well done steak and roast chicken with haggis stuffing, accompanied by a decent glass or two (before they changed the licensing law) of Merlot or Shiraz. For sweet the mind boggles. If I could import it, a gorgeous Normandy apple tart. Failing that, probably cheesecake or a knickerbocker glory
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »
the best thing about Goa is the food, but they make crap chips...lol..
but their cakes are to die for