Author Topic: Petty Rules.  (Read 969 times)

Diasi

Petty Rules.
« on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:29:12 PM »
Well this afternoon I went to Lincoln Hospital to take some items for my wife that I know she likes.

Nothing much, just the items I've taken before, including a bottle of fruit squash, a packet of sour cream & chive thins (crackers), a packet of biscuits, some strawberry & lemon mousses & a box of After Eights.

Plus this time a card for her.

On the special desk where items for patients can be dropped off was a new guy who asked what I'd brought & had anyone explained what was allowed.

On the two previous occasions no one had asked what I'd brought as the items were placed in a clear polythene bag in full view.

Anyway, I had to place all the items on his desk & he decided that everything was ok, except the mousses which he rejected.

When I gave him the card to put in the bag he said it couldn't go in the bag & had to go into the hospital's internal post & would I write her name & ward on the envelope which was now lying at the side of the bag which I'd just addressed with her name & ward details.

So now she'll think I forgot her favourite mousses or that I couldn't be arsed buying any & I have no way of letting her know what happened.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bee

Re: Petty Rules.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
Bloody hell Phil, what on earth is wrong with mousses, that is going to the extreme in my opinion.

Hope your wife is a lot better than she was Phil.
The only way is up....

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:43:27 PM »
Bloody hell Phil, what on earth is wrong with mousses, that is going to the extreme in my opinion.

Hope your wife is a lot better than she was Phil.

Thanks Bee,

She's doing ok according to the nurses when I phone up.

I don't know why the mouses failed the test as he didn't offer an explanation, but they don't have to be kept in a fridge & they're sealed until opened, unlike a packet of biscuits & chocolates.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
The jobsworth probably just has mousses on the banned list as I think some do need to be refrigerated. Or maybe is an inclusive list and doesn't mention them.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Bee

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
Thanks Bee,

She's doing ok according to the nurses when I phone up.

I don't know why the mouses failed the test as he didn't offer an explanation, but they don't have to be kept in a fridge & they're sealed until opened, unlike a packet of biscuits & chocolates.

That's good, pleased to hear it.

I believe the security man should have offered an explanation about the mousses, then you would understand for next time.
The only way is up....

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:52:01 PM »
Are you sure she'll think that way? cos I doubt it..Anyway, easy enough to explain when you eventually talk....Sorry..Reply to your earlier post was interrupted..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
Incredible - especially the inepternal post bit
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »

That's good, pleased to hear it.

I believe the security man should have offered an explanation about the mousses, then you would understand for next time.

Indeed & it would have been even better if the first two security blokes hadn't accepted them.

I always thought that if it was essential for items to be stored in a fridge it had to carry an advice saying it must be refrigerated at less than a specified temperature.

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »
Inconsistency like that is unacceptable.  Visitors should be given clear information, it shouldn't vary depending on who is on duty.   Glad to hear your wife is feeling a little better.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Sheila

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »
It sounds to me as though he is enjoying his bit of power.  His wife probably beats him up at home!

I'm pleased the nurses tell you your wife is improving. 

Alex22

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2020, 05:39:13 PM »
That does sound petty doesn't it !  so glad your wife is on the mend Phil  👍

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
You dont have to tell me about the petty regulations and inefficiency in hospitals. I was having some treatment as an out patient in the Ambulatory Care Unit. I was supposed to have 2 unite of blood and it took them 2 hours to transport the blood from one part of the hospital to another. That was even before I began on the 3 hour session to begin the transfusion. Something about a shortage of porters. Chris had a right go at them for the delay. It was 2 am when we got out.

Knowing I was going to have to come in the following week for iron transfusions I said "Next time I will bring my computer". Chris said "Next time we will bring a lawyer".

They livened up a bit after that! I think they were anxious to get rid of me.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:16:04 AM »

Knowing I was going to have to come in the following week for iron transfusions I said "Next time I will bring my computer". Chris said "Next time we will bring a lawyer".

Great reply. ;D

I think it was the utterly ridiculous way the card had to be put in the internal post & not in the bag that annoyed me more than the mousses.

biglouis

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »
These people are all busy hiding behind their protocols in case someone sues them.

In the A&E various people came up with a little name badge on them saying "Im XX and Im going to take your blood/do an ECG" and so on. So you knew who they were and what their function was. At one point what appeared a young lad told me I was going to be admitted. No "we think we will have to keep you in because ...." I told him I did not consent to being admitted. Chris asked him "Who and what are you?"

"Im the A&E consultant MR X" Obviously very insulted. "Well perhaps if you had the courtesy to introduce yourself as your junior staff did you would get more respect!"

Whats wrong with "Hello, Im Mr X the A&E consultant and I think it would be best if we kept you in overnight because ...."
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2020, 05:16:33 AM »
So long and thanks for all the fish