Author Topic: Petty Rules.  (Read 970 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Petty Rules.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:06:06 AM »
I rarely find being confrontational or rude brings results in the long term. A consultant is usually at that level because of expertise, even if their bedside manner is somewhat lacking. 

Unfortunately people at the lower end of the work hierarchy often feel they have to follow the rules to the extreme, as they are not empowered to make decisions, and fear criticism if they do.  The customer is the loser, but the management are to blame. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:33:32 AM »
Doctor Shipman was a GP in Doncaster at one point in his career...
not my GP.... obviously... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »
I didn't know that Crabby.  He wasn't mine either, obviously...😃      We'd have been too young for his brand of medicine back then thank goodness.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
Doctor Shipman was a GP in Doncaster at one point in his career...
not my GP.... obviously... ;D

He started out at Pontefract General Infirmary & then went to a GP practice in Todmorden, from where he went to a GP practice in Hyde, where he eventually set up his own practice.

He was never a GP in Doncaster.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:43:39 AM »
I rarely find being confrontational or rude brings results in the long term.

I rarely find being confrontational or rude brings results..

I agree.. I wouldn't dream of being rude or confrontational to anyone who .. is holding the trump card..
Unless they have taken my leg off by mistake..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »

I rarely find being confrontational or rude brings results..

I agree.. I wouldn't dream of being rude or confrontational to anyone who .. is holding the trump card..
Unless they have taken my leg off by mistake..

Especially if it's the consultant who makes the DNR decision.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »
well according to the Doncaster Press he was a GP in Rossington, not that it matters
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
well according to the Doncaster Press he was a GP in Rossington, not that it matters

I think you were lucky Crabby, around 1975 'Dr. Shipman got a job at the National Coal Board in Doncaster where he did physicals on miners.'   
 ::)
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1526240/bio

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »
I think you were lucky Crabby, around 1975 'Dr. Shipman got a job at the National Coal Board in Doncaster where he did physicals on miners.'   

He wasn't in a GP practice in Doncaster.

It was the unsupervised nature of being a GP, visiting the practice's elderly patients in their own homes, that enabled him to carry out his crimes.

crabbyob

« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
i was lucky Granny, i had to have a medical in 74...gulp

biglouis

« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:05:12 PM »
Shipman got away with his activities because he served a type of community where people looked up to the doctor as a pillar of the community. His word and activities were not questioned. Some of these doctors act like they are gods and their word is not to be questioned or disputed. They are no more godlike than any other professional group.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Scrumpy

« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2020, 10:39:57 AM »

I agree.. We , as kids, looked at the doctor as if he was a miracle worker.
 Same with the teachers..and bank managers.. 'Yes Sir. No sir..'
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2020, 10:44:33 AM »
thats the main problem with the NHS the godlike creatures that stride the wards
are taught this at Medical School... and sadly the nurses are attending similar places of education
the S in NHS now stands for 'sucker' because thats what you are if you jump thru the hoops required to get to even talk to the doctor on the phone....

klondike

« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:59:21 PM »
They want me to book a telephone appointment. It seems my repeat stuff won't get authorised for reissue until I have but it has twice already just by making a custom request.

They've called me off the cuff a couple of  times - once to remind me and once for an asthma review but said they couldn't book the appointment they had requested just then.

I called them last week in the afternoon only to find in a call that lasted 32mins (30 waiting and 2 talking) that I should call between 8 and 12 on their same day appointment system.

Yeah right after one wasted half hour but there was an option to use a questionnaire on the website between 8 and 12. I eventually found it and filled it in asking them to book an appointment. I didn't hear the phone but there was a single missed call from them and a text asking me to ring them.

I've filled the form in again today asking them to approve what meds they think are OK and delete what they don't. I mentioned that I'm aware of my cholesterol level but have had issues with two statins and won't be taking them again. I did say that if they felt they must prescribe them then fine just as long as they didn't expect me to swallow them.

If I thought there was the slightest chance of finding a decent practice I'd change but I fear they have all erected barricades of signs on their doors essentially telling patients to bugger off and making phone contact next to impossible so it really isn't worth the doubtless bigger problem of actually changing. I'll just keep filling their damned form in until they do something even if that something is de-listing me.
So long and thanks for all the fish