Author Topic: Road Tax  (Read 4833 times)

Hugh

Road Tax
« on: Nov 16, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
Stand by for a rise in road tax. With so many electrical vehicles coming onto the road it looks like road taxes will have to rise to cover the income lost on fuel taxes. Us with petrol engine cars are going to suffer in a big way. Very unlikely that electric engine vehicle owners will have road tax rise on there own.

klondike

Re: Road Tax
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »
Everybody is going to suffer increased tax on everything anyway. Rishi needs to buy some fertiliser for his money tree as it is looking a bit jaded.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Cee Gee

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:30:04 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong. Road tax was originaly a tax on all road users to pay for new roads and maintainance of existing roads. It was changed to a vehicle polution tax with reduced levy for less poluting vehicles and some paying no tax at all. This was a grossly unfair system as all vehicles take up space and contribute to the wear and tear. I am of the opinion that we should revert back to the old system with all road users contributing equally.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
Stand by for a rise in road tax. With so many electrical vehicles coming onto the road it looks like road taxes will have to rise to cover the income lost on fuel taxes. Us with petrol engine cars are going to suffer in a big way. Very unlikely that electric engine vehicle owners will have road tax rise on there own.

I think the plan is to recoup on charging charges, as it were, rather than penalise trad fuel users though it's forty billion or so he'll have to find somewhere..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
Road tax was originally introduced as a road fund, but from 1937 it has not been set aside for roads.The idea that electric car owners will get a free ride for very long is rather unlikely. I can see horses coming back.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »
Road tax was originally introduced as a road fund, but from 1937 it has not been set aside for roads.The idea that electric car owners will get a free ride for very long is rather unlikely. I can see horses coming back.

Nae bother, already have the 2 Clydesdales  ;D  don't know how Tesco would receive them and a cart parked up in the car park though.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong. Road tax was originaly a tax on all road users to pay for new roads and maintainance of existing roads. It was changed to a vehicle polution tax with reduced levy for less poluting vehicles and some paying no tax at all. This was a grossly unfair system as all vehicles take up space and contribute to the wear and tear. I am of the opinion that we should revert back to the old system with all road users contributing equally.

It's a stupid system that bears no relationship to the pollution caused by a traditional car.

Neither does it bear any relationship to the wear & tear on the roads.

Our car is in a high CO2 class & does around 1,000 a year which is far less polluting & causes far less wear on the roads & tear than a car in a low CO2 class that does 50,000 a year. 

Road fund revenue should be done via an additional charge on fuel duty so the more you drive, the more you pay, with a direct charge levied on electric vehicles.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »
It's a stupid system that bears no relationship to the pollution caused by a traditional car.

Neither does it bear any relationship to the wear & tear on the roads.
{
Our car is in a high CO2 class & does around 1,000 a year which is far less polluting & causes far less wear on the roads & tear than a car in a low CO2 class that does 50,000 a year. 

Road fund revenue should be done via an additional charge on fuel duty so the more you drive, the more you pay.

Yes I like that idea.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:04:00 PM »
I can see horses coming back.
When I lived in a village some of the evidence that they had passed by had to be treated as a roundabout  ;D

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »
When I lived in a village some of the evidence that they had passed by had to be treated as a roundabout  ;D

"At the steaming roundabout, take the third exit".
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
with a direct charge levied on electric vehicles

Fair as that may be I don't think that they'll be rushing to impose it. Apart from giving the tree huggers apoplexy they can hardly keep a straight face while spouting off on their zero carbon by 2050 fairy tale and impose extra taxes on one of the few things that would stand a chance of bringing them closer to delivering it.

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »
with a direct charge levied on electric vehicles

Fair as that may be I don't think that they'll be rushing to impose it. Apart from giving the tree huggers apoplexy they can hardly keep a straight face while spouting off on their zero carbon by 2050 fairy tale and impose extra taxes on one of the few things that would stand a chance of bringing them closer to delivering it.

All vehicles should pay to use the roads irrespective of how they're powered so it wouldn't be a tax, it should be called a road usage charge.

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »

Nae bother, already have the 2 Clydesdales  ;D  don't know how Tesco would receive them and a cart parked up in the car park though.

You should DEFINITELY do that one day Raven!  ;D ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:22:04 PM »
All vehicles should pay to use the roads irrespective of how they're powered so it wouldn't be a tax, it should be called a road usage charge.
I don't disagree with the fairness but for the reasons I gave I doubt it will be what they do.

The chances of me owning an electric vehicle other than a mobility scooter are zero anyway. I'm hoping my old £30 a year diesel will see my personal motoring days out.

Alex22

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:28:13 PM »
This may sound like a daft question but what will happen to all the HGVs on the roads, aren't they too big to be electric ?