Author Topic: Road Tax  (Read 4831 times)

klondike

Re: Road Tax
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »
I think they are only talking about cars. When this was discussed a while back I was pulled up for saying vehicles. To be honest I cba to check because the chances of that target being met are close to zero imo.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »
I don't disagree with the fairness but for the reasons I gave I doubt it will be what they do.

The chances of me owning an electric vehicle other than a mobility scooter are zero anyway. I'm hoping my old £30 a year diesel will see my personal motoring days out.

Our is a £260 per year petrol which my last us out at around 1,000 a year (maybe more this year if hospital visiting starts again).

This may sound like a daft question but what will happen to all the HGVs on the roads, aren't they too big to be electric ?

No, there are electric trucks & vans.

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/8-electric-truck-and-van-companies-watch-2020
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:44:35 PM »
Something like £5 out of the £6 a gallon we are paying now is tax. Collecting tax on a vehicle is more of a control measure.

Motor lorries, I suspect, will be more difficult to make them electric. However a few years ago many urban buses were electric, but they were abandoned when oil was rather cheap.

klondike

« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
No, there are electric trucks & vans.
Yes there are both but the proposed sales ban on internal combustion engines is currently only for cars and vans (17.55 on 16th Nov 2020 as with Carrie Symonds apparently in charge of policy who knows what it will be later).
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:28:18 PM »
I have a far better idea on how the government can claw back what they have spent. Cut MP''s salary to a quarter of what they get now. Cut out all their " perks" and the claw back will only take a year.  ;D

Jacqueline

« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »
I have a far better idea on how the government can claw back what they have spent. Cut MP''s salary to a quarter of what they get now. Cut out all their " perks" and the claw back will only take a year.  ;D

Quite right, Performance Related Pay and they'd owe us.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2020, 11:16:59 PM »
Exactly. To qualify for performance related pay one has to perform....
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:53:41 AM »
Why do these people need a family home in London at the taxpayers expense? All they need is a 1 bedroom crash pad within traveling distance of Westminster.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
So....if MP's salaries were cut to £20k a year, who would be attempting to run the country? Perhaps the really privileged, they could afford to fund themselves. But weren't they the ones who used to be in charge, in the time of Rotten Boroughs, before we were all given an equal vote? 

I tend to agree about family homes in London, a crash pad should be adequate.  Lots of people work away from home some of the time.  An MP's home should be in their constituency - I can just see the rich Labour MPs sending their kids to low end comps!  Did Ed Milliband ever live in Donny?
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »
Let us not forget that an MPs salary goes straight in their pocket, everything they spend goes on expenses.

Jacqueline

« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »
Maybe its not so much the pay thats the problem, more the way they are selected.  You have to tow the party line and think the right way way to get selected by political parties, the ordinary sensible person dosen't stand a chance, thus the out of touch lot we have in Parliament.

Ashy

« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »
Thanks! I've just made the same point less eloquently on the regional assembly thread. That is the problem, the party system and careerism, to get elected you have to be out of touch to start with.

Jacqueline

« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »
Going back to Road Tax.  On one of the news channels, talking about a new pay per mile tax instead of the current system.

This would affect us badly, its a 30 mile round trip to go shopping for us. Many locals work in Carmarthen  a 5 day week = 150 miles a week, it soon mounts up.  The bus (which only runs during the day and no Sundays), is £7 return.  15 miles to Hospital, some treatments 40 miles away in Swansea or Llanelli.

Our friends in Scotland travel even further to amenities.  Rural people would really suffer by this, OK if you live in London with wall to wall public transport. 

I expect they want to price us out and crowd us all into city gettos to keep the countryside nice for the elete who can afford to live there.

Hugh

« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
Can not see pay per mile would work although I would be happy with it. Upping the price of petrol would only be a short term solution. The only thing I know is, if they put all the burden on the poor, with petrol powered cars and allow the rich with new electric powered a free ride would lose the conservative party a lot of votes.

Ashy

« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:18:02 PM »
The conservative party, it seems, are so confident of their voters, that they do everything in their power to upset them. I don't see any difference in the local labour council.