Author Topic: Road Tax  (Read 4856 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Road Tax
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »
Cost per mile sounds so fair, so egalitarian, doesn’t it? Does it ***** insert your choice of word.
When we lived In Haslemere we could buy all the shopping on a basic basis, without travelling more than half a mile, which is true of many town dwellers all over the UK. Here, the nearest small Co-op is a four mile round trip. The nearest supermarket - and again it isn’t state of the art - is a 14 mile round trip.
If we want a choice of shops, it is a thirty mile round trip.
Why should country dwellers always be the ones to get a financial kicking?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:03:03 PM »
Because people in the main choose where to live? If it cost too much to live in the sticks then slum it in a town.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »
bit difficult to be a farmer if you live in a town!
Mike

klondike

« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »
It is indeed but do you know any poor farmers?

My granddaughter is married to a farmer. He works hard and probably pays enough tax for everybody here's pension and he is just one of three sons operating the family farm. Minted is the word I'd choose.

Raven

« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:05:11 PM »
bit difficult to be a farmer if you live in a town!
Mike

Yep, sure is..

Jacqueline

« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »
Because people in the main choose where to live? If it cost too much to live in the sticks then slum it in a town.

Just what I said, shove the poor into city ghettos with all the polution and keep the countryside for the rich so they have plenty of space for themselves and a nice life.

Raven

« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:12:13 PM »
Errr, Excuse me. I live out in the countryside and I'm not rich. :o  We both work hard to keep this farm going.

Jacqueline

« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:20:09 PM »
Errr, Excuse me. I live out in the countryside and I'm not rich. :o  We both work hard to keep this farm going.

No not you Raven, me neither and I live in the countryside, I was saying thats what them in power would like to do, get rid of you to the towns.  When London gets to be a warzone in the not too distant future, they'll need somewhere nice to run and hide to.

Raven

« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:23:59 PM »
They would be better to stay and clear up the mess they're making. ;)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »
I live in the country. I am retired , And I am reasonably well off. I am not rich, or those with whom I come into contact.
Mike

Hugh

« Reply #40 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »
Hang on Raven Scotland running their own affairs not London. Yes Scotland gets money from London but that's pretty much it. That's what devolution is.

GrannyMac

« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »

When we were getting near to retirement, it made sense to move to where there is good public transport.  It meant we could get rid of one car, although we previously lived in a village near a town, we needed transport to the bus stop!  Pay per mile would suit us, especially this year when we've hardly used our care, I only use it at the moment to go to the supermarket. 

However, I don't think pay per mile is very fair, people in rural areas also pay taxes, nationally and locally, but don't get the services we have on our doorstep. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #42 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:33:25 PM »
Who said Scotland.? I am talking about the countryside wherever
Mike

klondike

« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:36:19 PM »
They pay the same rate for many services that cost more to provide though - think post and phone lines for instance. They get a nice long high installation and maintenance cost phone line and then moan that their broadband is slow  :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #44 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:40:32 PM »
They pay the same rate for many services that cost more to provide though - think post and phone lines for instance. They get a nice long high installation and maintenance cost phone line and then moan that their broadband is slow  :)

Well,we have so main drainage,no street lights, so your comment is rubbish
Mike