Author Topic: Road Tax  (Read 4828 times)

zoony

Re: Road Tax
« Reply #45 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »
It is indeed but do you know any poor farmers?

My granddaughter is married to a farmer. He works hard and probably pays enough tax for everybody here's pension and he is just one of three sons operating the family farm. Minted is the word I'd choose.

Common misconception K.. The large farms that are able to take advantage of certain subsidies are more agri-business than farm. The 'smaller' ones have to diversify in some way to survive which is leading to some interesting ideas being brought to fruition.. Many farmers also have jobs as the farm doesn't earn enough to sustain their family.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Hugh

« Reply #46 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:48:13 PM »
You wouldn't live on private road by any chance Mike.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #47 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
I don’t, but I am a loss at your comment
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #48 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:56:59 PM »
The road I live was private at one stage Mike, and it cost each a lot off money to become public. With no drainage and street lights made me wonder.

klondike

« Reply #49 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:04:21 PM »

Common misconception K.. The large farms that are able to take advantage of certain subsidies are more agri-business than farm. The 'smaller' ones have to diversify in some way to survive which is leading to some interesting ideas being brought to fruition.. Many farmers also have jobs as the farm doesn't earn enough to sustain their family.
Fair enough. I just judged by my personal experience of one.
I suppose my answer about being unable to farm in towns should have been the observation that the majority living in the countryside are not farmers and are free to move should they find services inadequate or costs too high.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #50 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »
That's the trouble isn't it? Our politicians get up in the morning, look out of their windows, they see a wealthy corner of Islington, and think nobody really needs a car, except me.

klondike

« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »
I don't understand this price per mile thing. Surely fuel taxes do that already albeit with a penalty should you choose to drive a car that is inefficient.

Ashy

« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:28:49 PM »
Absolutely, fuel tax covers that quite well, but it doesn't put the politicians in control.

Jacqueline

« Reply #53 on: Nov 17, 2020, 06:32:56 PM »
I don't want to live in a busy large town or city with high crime rates where I wouldn't feel safe to walk after dark even if it has lots of amenities.  Thats my choice but neither should I be priced out of my area so it is kept only for the rich.

GrannyMac

« Reply #54 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:20:54 PM »

Well,we have so main drainage,no street lights, so your comment is rubbish
Mike

Its like that where my son lives, along with hardly any pavements and no mains gas.  They have to pay to have the septic tank emptied. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:38:41 PM »
No sewage reduces water charges - sewage charge makes up about half of my total.

No lights should in theory reduce rates (but probably doesn't). My rates weren't reduced when they converted to LED lights with a power equivalent to a fairy light on a 20ft high pole every 100 yards or so. I'm not convinced that they are much better than none - they certainly don't outshine the moon.

zoony

« Reply #56 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »
Our local council just installed LEDs and took out the old whatever-they-weres out. The light is much whiter but it illuminates the street well..No complaints.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ashy

« Reply #57 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
I think councils prefer LEDs because they are long lasting. They probably cost more to install than they will ever save in electricity but if they last years rather then months, require little or no attention.

Alex22

« Reply #58 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
We had new LED street lights about two years ago, absolutely useless imo.  They shine directly down and only light up the part of pavement directly below them , but they throw out no light whatsoever.

Raven

« Reply #59 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
I hate the new lights, they cast too many shadows, the orange ones were much better. There's a lamp post across the street from my house in Perth and It used to light up my drive and it was easy to reverse in. The new ones don't do that and I have to rely on my one not bright enough reversing light. It got so bad I won't do it and leave the car out in the street if I can't see, Reversing blind is not nice.