Author Topic: Road Tax  (Read 4834 times)

zoony

Re: Road Tax
« Reply #60 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:49:07 AM »
You should write to the council and state your case in no uncertain terms! P'raps they'll put the old ones back..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #61 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
We had new LED street lights about two years ago, absolutely useless imo.  They shine directly down and only light up the part of pavement directly below them , but they throw out no light whatsoever.
I wonder if there are different types then as yours sound similar to the ones here yet zoony says his are OK. The ones we got are further apart and produce a lot less light than the old orange ones. I have CCTV cameras which although they have IR LEDs are not good at distance at night without additional lighting. I can see from old recordings of incidents that I kept that they were far better than the new ones.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #62 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:05:54 PM »
I did complain when they first changed over, it didn't get me anywhere.  Now I've got an LED light on the front of the house, so at least I can see to put the bins out !

Diasi

« Reply #63 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:30:36 PM »
So....if MP's salaries were cut to £20k a year, who would be attempting to run the country? Perhaps the really privileged, they could afford to fund themselves. But weren't they the ones who used to be in charge, in the time of Rotten Boroughs, before we were all given an equal vote? 

I tend to agree about family homes in London, a crash pad should be adequate.  Lots of people work away from home some of the time.  An MP's home should be in their constituency - I can just see the rich Labour MPs sending their kids to low end comps!  Did Ed Milliband ever live in Donny?

No, he just shot up to Doncaster by train on his MP surgery days & constituency meeting days.

Ex-Doncaster MP Caroline Flint lives in the Doncaster area.       
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #64 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:47:55 PM »
I just noticed the thread title - Road Tax

So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #65 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:47:53 PM »
It is worth noting that council tax also pays for roads, lighting, sweeping, drains and so on. All private companies too.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #66 on: Nov 18, 2020, 10:54:02 PM »
Ashy
What do you mean by private companies? I expect it varies from place to place, but much of those services here are done by council employees
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #67 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:14:50 AM »
I just noticed the thread title - Road Tax

That's quite a surprise, I just wouldn't have known ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

crabbyob

« Reply #68 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:39:12 AM »
the deputy speaker is MP for Doncaster but i dont know where she lives, i met Milliband... Caroline Flint had been a Doncaster MP for quite a few years and spoke often in the House, but never in my hearing about Doncaster, i think she was becoming a good MP, and i hope to see her in that place again..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #69 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:42:53 AM »
Ashy
What do you mean by private companies? I expect it varies from place to place, but much of those services here are done by council employees
Mike
It may be different in Scotland. Since Margaret Thatcher's time, councils have to put their services out to tender, but they may tender for the contract themselves.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #70 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
I'd forgotten that
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #71 on: Nov 19, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »
the deputy speaker is MP for Doncaster but i dont know where she lives, i met Milliband... Caroline Flint had been a Doncaster MP for quite a few years and spoke often in the House, but never in my hearing about Doncaster, i think she was becoming a good MP, and i hope to see her in that place again..

Caroline Flint always seemed genuine, and she knew her area.  She was a casualty of anti Corbyn feeling IMO.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #72 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:20:49 PM »
i agree Granny
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”