Author Topic: plastic waste disposal,.??  (Read 1172 times)

Alfred

plastic waste disposal,.??
« on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:31:31 AM »
Almost every one at some time or other has seen, read. reports on the amount of plastic waste the u.k alone has created, at some point in the past the u.k sent thousands of tons of waste to other countries to dispose of this problem and later these same coutries returned it all back to us, all that we had previously sent them , ??

So does anyone know, if or when the government is going to seriously tackle this man made problem , itll be interesting to know if forum members have information as to what this government proposses to do about it,?

Q; as usual your thoughts will make interesting reading,

crabbyob

Re: plastic waste disposal,.??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:46:33 AM »
plastic can/could be melted down and re-used as building blocks for roadways much the same as cobble stones... all our garden paths and driveways could and should be plastic..
our garden walls could be built out of plastic and if treated to be flameproof then all our walls and roofs could be... but my main use would be roads, every roads in England should be resurfaced with plastic layers mixed with pebbles instead of tar...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »
Read a report on FB a while back, about using plastic on the roads Crabby, and thought it was a good idea then.

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:33:50 AM »
Just one example, the garden benches made of recycled plastic are great, they have a wood effect but rot proof. More expensive, but I have lost count of the wooden ones I've had over the years.   I believe they make decking out of plastic now too.

The road idea is brilliant, they probably wouldn't have to resurface every couple of years like now.

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:39:41 AM »
Recycled plastic is widely used instead of iron for drain covers, manhole covers and the like, even kerb blocks, and very good they are too. Not sure how recycled plastic would stand up to the wear and tear of roads, or how vehicles would stand up to plastic for that matter. The longest lasting road surface is concrete but it is unpleasant to travel over.

sparky

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »
On household waste generally, in the distant past with little waste, we had one bin that they would collect weekly, and even open you side gate to get the bin.
Nowadays with at least 4 times as much rubbish, it has to be almost gift wrapped for them to collect  from the kerbside, and forget. weekly, your lucky if it every 2 weeks. Is it because, like so many council services, In them days they employed people to be outside doing the proper jobs, Park keepers, toilet attendants, etc  rather than the hordes now sat on their fat arses, in offices with an assistant to the assistant etc, whose work is limited to answering the phone, with excuses on why this or that cannot be done,

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
Councils employ "client" departments these days whilst the real work is done by contractors, even if those contractors are also employed by the council. Most aren't. It's supposed to be more efficient that way.

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
It's supposed to be more efficient that way.

And thats the biggest of b********s imaginable, Contractors will always provide the least service they can get away with, to bump up their profits.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »
The problem with recycling plastic is that there are so many different sorts which probably won't make a satisfactory product if all mixed up and it isn't easy to differentiate between them visually.

I suspect that means most household recycling can't be used for much reliably and the decent plastic "wood" products and the like are made from known materials which like as not will be leftovers from an industrial process.

Maybe all plastic containers for household use need to be standardised as much as possible with only recyclable plastics used. Maybe it would even be possible to incorporate type codes into the mouldings which could be read electronically.

That's just my musings while constructing this reply. Surely somebody could be employed to research this properly and whatever solution found put into legislation. Without it we will continue dumping plastic into the environment.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
The problem with recycling plastic is that there are so many different sorts which probably won't make a satisfactory product if all mixed up and it isn't easy to differentiate between them visually.

I suspect that means most household recycling can't be used for much reliably and the decent plastic "wood" products and the like are made from known materials which like as not will be leftovers from an industrial process.

Maybe all plastic containers for household use need to be standardised as much as possible with only recyclable plastics used. Maybe it would even be possible to incorporate type codes into the mouldings which could be read electronically.

That's just my musings while constructing this reply. Surely somebody could be employed to research this properly and whatever solution found put into legislation. Without it we will continue dumping plastic into the environment.
good points
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:07:07 PM »
I second that, but there is as much chance of that has having standard bags in vacuum cleaners.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:11:20 PM »
It's supposed to be more efficient that way.

And thats the biggest of b********s imaginable, Contractors will always provide the least service they can get away with, to bump up their profits.
It certainly doesn't look more efficient; maybe it isn't, but this is the system wished on us by Margaret Thatcher.

The cost of local government has weighed on the minds of central government since the early 1960s at least.

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »

I have thought for a long time, there should be strict  controls on the types of packaging used for all goods, not only plastic, on what manufacture and producers  can use for goods that are sold in supermarkets etc.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
Exactly. It is a matter for legislation.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »
and be extra careful burning the stuff as it gives off a cyanide type gas when burned
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”