Author Topic: grills,  (Read 914 times)

Alfred

grills,
« on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:46:34 AM »
I often wonder about grills that are put inside ovens , in the past grills were either on top of the gas cooker ,

then at another time plate warmers were placed at the top above the burners , all practicale ideals but in today electric ovens its noticable that grills are inside the oven and not easy to clean as being placed in an awkward position , so why bother with ovens that have an inside grill in the first place,  where did this idea spring from,

yet in the past the idea of a grill above the cooker was ideal as when cooking say cheese on toast it was lovely, and practicle, better still grilled bacon ,
where as today its awkward again trying to cook cheese on toast when its cooked inside the oven ??

Q; have you any thoughts when it comes to cooker designs , and are todays cookers very practicable,
as usual your thoughts will make interseting reading ,

crabbyob

Re: grills,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »
try a halogen oven Alf, its everything you require, then you put some water in with a drop of washing up liquid and it cleans itself...almost.. ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Alfred

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:53:54 AM »
thank you crabbyob, sounds ideal,

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »
I wonder who designs these things?  Obviously not anyone who actually uses them or does their own cleaning or they would far more practical.

I'd forgotten about the old cookers with eye level grills, much better idea.  I have to squat down to use mine which is waist level and I am only 5 ft.

Whilst on the subject, you have to take the oven door glass off with a screwdriver to clean it properly.  I have a tumble drier where although you can get the filter out easily, the fluff accumalates round the inside door panel which you can't get to, I  poke it out with a knitting needle but can't get to it all.  I am sure these appliances are not road tested by ordinary people who would be likely to use them or they certainly wouldn't have such design faults. 

And as for my latest (and worst ever) washing machine that takes forever to do one load!!!!!!!

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:31:45 AM »
I still use an old style cooker with the eye level grill. It's always been looked after and has a lot of life left in it..... I hope. I refuse to update and get a new one that would make life awkward for myself.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:32:04 AM »
I wonder what happened to eye level grills?

The times I've said "Whoever designed that, never had to use it".

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:55:39 AM »

Separates are far more practical, we have an oven/ Grill at chest height, and a separate induction hob, I would never go back to a conventional hob, little or no cleaning, and If I am cooking something that splashes, I place a newspaper on the hob first and it cooks through the paper without the paper even scorching , the induction rings turn themselves of 1 minute after you take the pan off, so no chance of forgetting and it being left on. so very safe.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:00:39 AM »

And as for my latest (and worst ever) washing machine that takes forever to do one load!!!!!!!

What make Jacq so I know what to avoid  ?  I was surprised to see how many well known makes are actually made in Poland these days.  Mine's on the way out, it's a Zanussi and has been a good machine to be fair.   Everything seems to be going wrong in this house lately !

I do my cheese on toast in the microwave which is also a convection oven.  Halogen oven just as good though for COT 

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »

I have a Bosch Vario Perfect washing machine.. It will do a 47 min wash .. and a Quick wash 30mins... It also does the LONG washes.. Spin only.. It suits me..

I prefer eye level grill.. My grill is in the top oven.. (useless)..
I prefer a gas hob..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »
I never liked eye-level grills and definitely not grills within the oven.  Unfortunately the grill is inside the oven in my campervan, but that's a space saving thing. 

I like a free-standing cooker with a separate grill. I've got an AGA-Rangemaster  electric 'range' cooker with a separate grill above the oven (and beneath the ceramic hob).  It's pretty convenient and slides out on ball bearing "drawer runners" - the sort you would find in filing cabinets. This  allows you to slide out the grill pan and it stays horizontal without having to hold it.  I wouldn't mind one with an induction hob, but I'd need to install a 40Amp circuit instead of the normal 32Amp one.

I've also got a Rangemaster dish washer that was on offer along with the cooker. It's first class - but starting to show its age.  My Meile washing machine that has 20 and 30 min. wash cycles which are good enough for most things.  I don't use the (cheap) tumble drier much. I prefer the good old clothes line in the garden and the clothes pulley in the utility room.
You'll have had your tea.

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »

What make Jacq so I know what to avoid  ?  I was surprised to see how many well known makes are actually made in Poland these days.  Mine's on the way out, it's a Zanussi and has been a good machine to be fair.   Everything seems to be going wrong in this house lately !

I do my cheese on toast in the microwave which is also a convection oven.  Halogen oven just as good though for COT

Alex its Hotpoint, but I don't think the marathon wash is exclusive to them, so ask questions when you buy.

The one I have now looks just the same as my son's, thats why I bought it as it was a great machine. But although it looked the same it certainly isn't  My complaint is the length of time it takes to do a standard wash at 30 or 40 degrees, a couple of hours at least. 

When I complained about it I was told is modern eco, uses less water, less electricity but takes longer.   Maybe so but I don't want to plan my week around doing the washing my two or three loads takes all day.

Good tip for cheese on toast in the microwave, will try it.

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:58:41 PM »
I was put off Hotpoint by a friend Jacq, a while ago now.  I had a Miele machine ( tax free) :) and it lasted me for 20+ years, a brilliant machine, a bit too expensive to buy here though.

This Zanussi has been a great machine, but if I go for Zanussi again, it probably wouldn't be as good - like you with your son's Hotpoint.   Scrumpy has a Bosch which is also a good make, made in Poland too I think.  There's too much choice, that's my problem.

Microwave toast is soggy, but if you're got a combi it's good

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:05:17 PM »
Do the toast in the toaster then butter well especially the edges, chuck on your cheese and brown under a hot grill. The buttered edges don't burn but caramelize somehow and it's delicious COT.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:48:28 AM »
I've had Indesit washing machines for years, they are cheapish, always found them reliable, and there are options for shorter washes.  Daughter in law has a Bosch, about three times as expensive, but it has lots of programmes, and has a better quality look.

Ceramic hob, mainly because we have a small kitchen, its great for rolling pastry on when its cold! The one item we don't stint on is a decent vacuum. On our second Miele now, found them to be the best cylinder option. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:11:37 AM »
Our washing machine is an Indesit.  Had it for 13 years and I have left the settings exactly as Veronica used to have them. It has all sorts of funny buttons and things, none of which, with the exception of the on/off switch, I dare touch!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!