Author Topic: Pie in the sky? (nothing to do with covid)  (Read 4620 times)

Michael Rolls

Pie in the sky? (nothing to do with covid)
« on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:03:21 AM »
In his latest bid for everlasting fame, Boris has announced that the ban on new IC powered cars and vans will be brought forward to 2030, by which time, at the current rate of progress, his premiership is likely to be but a distant memory. Apparently ‘some’ hybrids will be allowed – no indications of the parameters they will need to meet.
So, in ten years from now, the entire UK will have to have accessible recharging facilities for electric vehicles. £1.2 billion will be invested in the infrastructure. That is 1/25th of the cost of HS2. Ten years from now – unless some diktat requires them to be scrapped – there will still be millions of petrol and diesel powered vehicles on the road, so we will need two infrastructures to be maintained.
All part of the ‘green industrial revolution’ we are told. Suddenly, there is going to be a major nuclear plant, probably at Sizewell, plus a small nuclear plants – number not specified, timescale not specified.
Isn’t it about time someone removed the fag packets, the backs of which seem to be his preferred planning medium, and consigned them to the WPB?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

Re: Pie in the sky? (nothing to do with covid)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »
The grid is creaking now as old coal fired power stations are taken offline and insufficient new gas and nuclear ones put in place to replace them. OK we have windmills but does that mean we can only drive on windy days?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:31:22 AM »
I suppose we could always fix sails to our cars plus oars for calm days!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »
On the thought of the age of cars - going through the village this morning I passed 25 parked cars - six were over ten years old. I don't know how that compares to the generality, but I am sure that ten years from now there is no way that all IC vehicles will have disappeared. Had BJ stuck to his original date of 2040 there might have been some sort of a chance, but ten years? Ridiculous.
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2020, 11:40:16 AM »
I have a premonition of what will happen. In towns most parking is on the street and it's controlled by the council that charge for the use of their road. Need I say more?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »
The more I think about this - the 'green industrial revolution; the more I begin to worry about BJ's mental state. He was seriously ill from covid-19 and since then, look at how he has been bounced from one unsatisfactory position to another. A second lockdown would be a disaster - but he ordered it on the back of clearly misleading modelling. It looks as though he is listening to his fiancée more than his ministers. There is the Cummings debacle. Probably more we haven't heard about
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2020, 11:44:35 AM »
I have a premonition of what will happen. In towns most parking is on the street and it's controlled by the council that charge for the use of their road. Need I say more?
Even if - which I take to be a given - they up parking charges to 'pay for the infrastructure' where are they going to put said infrastructure?
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »
On the thought of the age of cars - going through the village this morning I passed 25 parked cars - six were over ten years old. I don't know how that compares to the generality, but I am sure that ten years from now there is no way that all IC vehicles will have disappeared. Had BJ stuck to his original date of 2040 there might have been some sort of a chance, but ten years? Ridiculous.
Mike

Our car is a 2007, & hopefully,  will last a few more years yet as the garage mechanic who drove it for it's MOT said it was a good car that was really nice to drive.

We won't be paying £29,750, & upwards, for an electric Nissan Leaf any time soon.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
Nor me!
MIke

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:07:35 PM »
Even if - which I take to be a given - they up parking charges to 'pay for the infrastructure' where are they going to put said infrastructure?
Mike
Where we used to park the IC car. They will make charging points EV only. I hope I am not giving them ideas, they have enough of their own, but this is happening now as we speak. One charging pillar is provided and it can charge two vehicles, one either side, but a normal car is not allowed to park in those places.  They are being installed now. Hardly ever used of course.

Our permit to park in the street, not guaranteed parking, is now £50 a year (first/only car). They can charge anything they like.

xetog

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
How many of us will be around in 2030?  If we are, how many of us will be driving?  Certainly not me on either count. Manufacturers are complaining because they say the change is too quick and the technology not yet developed.  This is utter nonsense, it takes relatively little to covert an IC car to an electric drive.  Also all the mass manufacturers in the UK are already selling 100% electrically driven cars.  JLR, Toyota and Nissan all have electric models in their range and simply need to adapt the technology to the rest of their range.

As has been said, millions of IC driven cars will still be around well into the 2030's/40's & 50's.  It is only the manufacture of such cars that will be outlawed.  True, there will have to be many more public charging points and there will undoubtedly be more in car parks etc.  That is all of course that the Government build enough power plants.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
I have a fair chance of making it to 2030 so I have an interest. What I find disturbing is they won't make owning a car illegal, they will make it uneconomic and practicably impossible, that's what they are doing. I just hope they give me a practical way of disposing of the car when the time comes, and I don't think it will take them 10 years to accomplish that.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
it's not the vehicles - it's the infrastructure. We can build a zillion electric vehicles - but look at the average town street where, for want of an alternative, folk park in the road. Can you really see every two houses - don't even think about flats or multi-occupancy dwellings - having a charging point on the pavement?
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »
A house up our street has one installed on their side wall.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:34:16 PM »
How many in the street? Can they share?
Mike