laptops
« on: Nov 18, 2020, 10:49:45 AM »
What makes of laptops are best to avoid, if looking for a replacement

crabbyob

Re: laptops
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2020, 10:53:40 AM »
what kind are you replacing...?
do you want a dvd drive
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 11:01:19 AM »
Crabbyob, I am researching for my son, prefer with DVD but not escencial , no gaming, just everyday surfing, letter writing, emails, etc.

Traveller

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »
If you want a new one,  I'd just look for the best deal, but not all have DVD drives.

If you want a refurbished one, then my first choice would be Dell as you can get them at a fraction of new price.  There are plenty of companies that buy up laptops in bulk when firms upgrade (or go bust)  and refurbish them.  They usually give options as to things like RAM and disk size.  I've got a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad with a Solid state drive which allows software to load very quickly.
You'll have had your tea.

xetog

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:15:17 PM »
If you go solid state drive, go for SSD, not HDD.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
If you go solid state drive, go for SSD, not HDD.

Mike.X

An HDD isn't a solid state drive so HDD wouldn't be an option.

In my 11 year-old laptop I've fitted a 500GB SSD as the primary (OS) drive with a 1TB SSHD as the secondary (data storage) drive, by removing the optical drive.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »
Thanks for all the useful feedback guys.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2020, 02:37:27 PM »
Mine's a Lenovo from Currys, I've had it almost a year now and I still don't like it  :)  Nothing wrong with the laptop - it's me, I just prefer a desktop.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
I always go for refurbs and always with an SSD fitted. For either a laptop or desktop I'd consider £200 to be top whack. You can get quite high end ex business machines about 4 years old for that and they just about always come with a fresh Windows 10 Pro installed. If they come with nothing you can get a serial number for less than a fiver and download the install from the Microsoft site. The Laptops are usually Lenovo and the desktops HP or Dell. You only get real clunkers for that sort of money new.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Flying bomb

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:42:22 PM »
My SSD boots W10 very fast. 
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Traveller

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:22:07 PM »
My Lenovo with SSD boots Ubuntu 20.04 very fast too.  It annoys me that most laptops come with Win 10 loaded instead of selling them with the option of  letting you install your own.  This machine has Win 10 pro pre-loaded.
I don't use it, but if I ever have to, at least the PRO version allows you to disable updates using the group policy.
You'll have had your tea.

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:36:38 PM »
I wonder how much of the price of new machines goes to Microsoft. Certainly you can buy a key for peanuts but if you buy the product it is megabucks. The keys always seem a bit dodgy but they certainly work as I've used them several times with no problem.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:03:41 PM »
I always go for refurbs and always with an SSD fitted. For either a laptop or desktop I'd consider £200 to be top whack. You can get quite high end ex business machines about 4 years old for that and they just about always come with a fresh Windows 10 Pro installed. If they come with nothing you can get a serial number for less than a fiver and download the install from the Microsoft site. The Laptops are usually Lenovo and the desktops HP or Dell. You only get real clunkers for that sort of money new.

I agree. My refurbished DELL has a SSHD and has been/is an excellent machine. It was £180 I think, about 8-10 years ago now and I see no need to change it..I have a Chromebook laptop but we don't get on that well.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Yellowbird

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:17:18 PM »
Though expensive I would go for an Apple laptop everytime, in fact rather hoping if Father Christmas is allowed he will bring me a new one to replace my very old Apple Mac desktop
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

sparky

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »
Thanks again guys for your informative input.