Author Topic: laptops  (Read 978 times)

crabbyob

Re: laptops
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:51:02 PM »
so where is the best place to pick up a reconditioned laptop then?

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »
so where is the best place to pick up a reconditioned laptop then?

This is what it says on the can..
http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:02:16 PM »
cheers mi'dears
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Traveller

« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:40:52 PM »
That's where I got this laptop from.  I can't complain too much.  It's exactly as described and works fine.  There was a loose connection behind one of the indicator lights, but that was easily sorted.  Ironically, it is located near to where I worked in Portsmouth - but now I've retired to Scotland.  No problem - free delivery and well packed for transit.
I was planning to buy from another company, but they wanted £20 to deliver to Scotland.  I told them where to go. 
You'll have had your tea.

klondike

« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:45:05 PM »
I've always used eBay because I don't expect or need any support and the prices tend to be lower.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:30:41 AM »
Apple Mac is the epitome of [censored] baffles brains.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:04:08 AM »
Good on product placement though. Look at the back of any laptop on any imported TV program to see what I mean.

It seems celebs have only ever heard of iPhones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaxU0ut5tUw

Yellowbird

« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
Diasi  Everyone entitled to their opinion but I wouldn’t belittle your choices. My apple equipment has been far more reliable  long lasting and trouble free, for me than my first computers which were mostly DOS.and quite as expensive as Apple are today.  I was introduced to Mac some years  ago and haven’t looked back. My Choice
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

klondike

« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2020, 04:40:59 PM »
When I get mine they are already 4 years old at least. Many Macs are obsolete by then and won't run the latest version of the operating system. Not that it matters much I suppose as they will certainly continue to run.

Yellowbird

« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:04:31 PM »
Klondike just updated my 7 year old Mac desktop to the latest version, praps I’m just lucky. Got a very old ipad not flagging too. Still as I said each to his own, and we were asked what we thought

klondike

« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:23:18 PM »
My wife has the first iPad. Still works but you cant get any new apps for it. I think Apple have moved over more to phones now. It is where the bulk of their profits are made.

Yellowbird

« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »
I sold my first ipad to in part pay for a newer version,now have several ipads in our home some quite old, Ron has difficulty walking now, so they are a great source of pleasure to him, writing  many letters to the Times and Telegraph on them, they all work perfectly on our brilliant new Gigaclear internet system

klondike

« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:21:46 PM »
My wife is a technophobe. She saw an advert for the iPad and said - I think I could figure that out. She couldn't or at least didn't.

It was only used by my granddaughters and later occasionally my grandson although he has his own Android tablet. I can't complain that it is obsolete as I've had several Android tablets while it lay in a drawer.

In fairness that old Mac upgrade cartoon I remembered and found referred to hardware upgrades years back. I have no idea if they can be upgraded now or not but I suspect they can't as Apple make their money by selling hardware while Microsoft from selling software and Google by selling their users to advertisers. The iPhone cartoon is still completely relevant though despite it being donkey's years old. I think I was working when both were doing the rounds.

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
My iPad is definitely due for an upgrade!  Its fine for PF but it doesn't support lots of sites.  My phone is an Android, a hand me down from my son in law.  And we have a desktop PC, built from scratch by my husband (mainly for his music programmes) a couple of years ago. He read and watched youtube videos, and used a 'shopping list' then with zero experience put it all together.  It works very well, but it's upstairs in the study and I'm lazy. 😊
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
At the caravan I mostly use a laptop as it is left out on the table. At home I mostly sit on the sofa with an Android tablet by my side which gets picked up when I find the TV programs boring. So most of the evening then  :)

If I want to do more than surfing around and a bit of typing into PF then I'll use the laptop which lives in a bureau at home or sometimes my desktop which lives in what was once my office if there is something I need a bigger screen and meatier computer for.