Author Topic: Bloody cheek..  (Read 879 times)

zoony

Bloody cheek..
« on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
Roused from slumber by my burner phone getting a text..Turns out to be from Vodafone telling me that as from January I must use the phone at least once every 180 days or I'd be taken off the network.. Surely it's none of their business what I do or don't do on the phone?..It has plenty of credit on it..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

Re: Bloody cheek..
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
Im on EE and this has happened to me for some time. I just make a call to my landline and the BT woman answers. Its a form of theft and should be illegal.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »
Roused from slumber by my burner phone getting a text..Turns out to be from Vodafone telling me that as from January I must use the phone at least once every 180 days or I'd be taken off the network.. Surely it's none of their business what I do or don't do on the phone?..It has plenty of credit on it..
I think that is pretty standard for PAYG phones - I've certainly come across it in the past
\mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »
Yep I kept my old phone that was on 02 as a spare. Had around £30 credit on it and when I went to use it one day there was nothing and the phone was dead. :o I went to the 02 shop and was told pretty much the same as your text said. I was refused my £30 credit back too. I won't tell you what I said nor about the email I sent to their head office. Result....Nothing but me out of pocket, and my temper at boiling point.  >:(

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
Have to agree - it's a right bloody rip-off
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
Yep I kept my old phone that was on 02 as a spare. Had around £30 credit on it and when I went to use it one day there was nothing and the phone was dead. :o I went to the 02 shop and was told pretty much the same as your text said. I was refused my £30 credit back too. I won't tell you what I said nor about the email I sent to their head office. Result....Nothing but me out of pocket, and my temper at boiling point.  >:(

All mobile providers have a 'use it or loose it' policy of around 6 months.

What I didn't know was that TomTom sat navs, with a bulit-in SIM for traffic data, loose the SIM function if the traffic data hasn't been used for a few months, which is what happened to mine.

I updated the sat nav regularly each month but apparently it didn't count because the update didn't go though the SIM card.

https://bit.ly/2KezJi9
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »
Things they don't tell us eh... :'(

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »
Things they don't tell us eh... :'(

Indeed, but since the SIM was cut off I get almost daily email offers for a new sat nav.

Another chance for you gamblers to lay odds as to whether or not I'll be taking up the offer.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »
But they did say not to worry as they'll tell me before they kill my fone..It's not a big deal to send a quick text or call my other phone I suppose..

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »
I thought 'burner phones' were only for dodgy dealings ?  😃

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:30:36 PM »
 ;D Oh they are, they are.. 8)

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
Years back it used to be only 90 days with one of the networks as I found to my cost. I just do cheap SIM only these days. Might cost more but at least I know if I need it the damned thing will be working.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
Years back it used to be only 90 days with one of the networks as I found to my cost. I just do cheap SIM only these days. Might cost more but at least I know if I need it the damned thing will be working.

We do too, especially the SIM in the intruder alarm.

It does get used daily because I switch it on & off via text messages & the alarm panel sends a status reply text.

However, it'd be sod's law for the alarm to trigger & I'd forgotten to top-up the SIM card & not get a text.

Coastal

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:19:50 PM »
I would imagine that it's to avoid the potentially 1,000s of phones being on the system that are no longer in use, some would just be "put away" or dumped never to be used again.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
I imagine it's a handy way to remove a potential debt from the accounts. Most of those unused phones are laying in drawers with flat batteries or turned off in car glove boxes.
So long and thanks for all the fish