Author Topic: Snowflakes Strike Again.  (Read 963 times)

Raven

Snowflakes Strike Again.
« on: Nov 19, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
I don't agree that's it's cruel at all, horses like a job to do. What's your take on this? Do you agree or not?

https://www.outdoorrevival.com/news/horse-drawn-barge.html?fbclid=IwAR1YNX7IrVjgZ8RYq1gcHZfjPnkVUQgy-tBuc5sbB9wjueTpK67Feg9zawk

Michael Rolls

Re: Snowflakes Strike Again.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2020, 11:32:02 AM »
More idiots displaying their ignorance.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2020, 11:39:19 AM »
I don't know anything about horses... so in my ignorance as an outsider my thoughts are, it's the 21st century so what's the reason for using an animal anyway, do they not want to pay for fuel or what ? 
At least the horse won't have to 'fend off '  bloody cyclists now. 🤔

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
I'm with Raven on this.. Surely a horse is an excellent companion when barging..none of those diesel fumes belching, just a gentle clip-clop..I imagine the weight of a barge on water is barely noticeable to a good horse which must enjoy the change..Bugger the milksops..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
Horses have done this work for many many years. I don't know if it is cruel or not, the horses are strong animals that have worked with man for centuries, they have to be looked after and fed (in Britain anyway). If they don't do this work the chances are the breeds will die out and the horses themselves will be 3/4 ton of dog food.

Actually I thought snowflakes preferred horses to diesel, in this case I suspect they are complaining about the fact that it's pleasure trips keeping the canal going.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2020, 01:33:49 PM »
The horses are well cared for, its not cruel.  But according to the bargee, its not safe any more for her horses. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »
Im with Raven on this. She knows more about horses than I do. I just see another old tradition being wiped out by the luvvies.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »
The horses are well cared for, its not cruel.  But according to the bargee, its not safe any more for her horses.

Wow..Idiots one assumes..I can only imagine what such thugs might do to a shy, large animal given the chance..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
Come to think of it, I believe I have actually seen’Iona’, although not under way, when I worked at Guildford and was quite often in the Godalming area
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
People cycling on towpaths, walkers not giving way, inflatables in the water, as well as the idiots saying its cruel.

You probably did see it Mike.
https://godalming.nub.news/n/34i39m-not-going-to-put-my-horses-through-it-any-more34
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

prestbury

« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:00:58 PM »
I imagine the weight of a barge on water is barely noticeable to a good horse which must enjoy the change.

The weight of a canal boat on water is negligible and certainly easier for a working horse to gently pull rather than have to carry the weight of a rider. I doubt the horse can actually feel the pull. I have a 26 ton canal boat and if required towing it is easy for me even from a standing start, once it is moving there is no resistance.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »
If I understood it correctly the problem arises because other leisure users of the canal do not understand why it is called a towpath, or the etiquette thereof.

prestbury

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:22:09 PM »
If I understood it correctly the problem arises because other leisure users of the canal do not understand why it is called a towpath, or the etiquette thereof.

This also goes for cyclists who even when they see you trying to moor up a boat still think they can float their lycra body at speed through a mooring line.

Hugh

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
Cart horses through out the years have been used for many different types of work and they seem to enjoy it. Pulling a barge one of its easier tasks. Dragging fallen trees must be one of its hardest They use to be the work horse of a farm before the arrival of the tractor.

Ashy

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »
Even as a cyclist I agree that users of the canal (boats, barges etc) have priority.