Author Topic: Banks are a real pain in the ****  (Read 4302 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Banks are a real pain in the ****
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »
Phil
One of my accounts is with Barclays. That card reader is very neat
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:12:52 PM »
Phil
Mike

I was very impressed by it & it's so easy to use.

I can access Barclaycard on my PC & that asks for my username, password, three letters from my memorable word & finally I have the option of entering my 3 digit security code or having an OTP text to my phone, which I choose.

I'm still dithering about going the whole hog & registering for Lloyd's online banking.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:37:02 PM »
I was very impressed by it & it's so easy to use.

I can access Barclaycard on my PC & that asks for my username, password, three letters from my memorable word & finally I have the option of entering my 3 digit security code or having an OTP text to my phone, which I choose.

I'm still dithering about going the whole hog & registering for Lloyd's online banking.
I've had Lloyds online for several years now without any problems 🤞🤞' I also have TSB on line - they had that big computer problem a while back and as I mentioned earlier, they threw a wobbly recently. I only have an account with them because of the bloody EU forcing Lloyds branches in Scotland to close
when we moved here our nearest Lloyds was 2 miles up the road. now it's 200 miles away!
The Lloyds branch became TSB and now TSB have closed the branch totally, whilst telling me how they are improving my service!
Mike 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »
I've had Lloyds online for several years now without any problems 🤞🤞' I also have TSB on line - they had that big computer problem a while back and as I mentioned earlier, they threw a wobbly recently. I only have an account with them because of the bloody EU forcing Lloyds branches in Scotland to close
when we moved here our nearest Lloyds was 2 miles up the road. now it's 200 miles away!
The Lloyds branch became TSB and now TSB have closed the branch totally, whilst telling me how they are improving my service!
Mike 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

We've not been into a bank for over a couple of years & if we'd had online banking we probably wouldn't have had to go in just to transfer some money which they wouldn't do via telephone banking for some reason.

On a day-to-day basis we shop with a credit card & all our current account does is receive my pension payments & pay out the Direct Debits, we never use the debit debit card.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Thankfully, I haven't needed to visit a Lloyd's branch for some years - but if I did need to......
When we had to open accounts with TSB it refused to let me have a current account because the computer regarded me a s a credit risk. Ten minutes in the branch sorted it - because I always stay in credit in my cards, haven't borrowed money since my mortgage - paid off bin the early 80s, I was seen as high risk!!
Banks - I could *** them
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:57:43 PM »
I have 3 Accounts. N1. Where all the money coming  in goes. N.2. All direct debits to be paid. N. 3, the savings.   I transfer money on line, to family when I can, as I have them in the transfer list. I never need to 'phone or go to the Bank. The Credit card a/c is separate and I pay on line in full before the date payment is due. gmx  It keeps things simple and in order. gmx

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:59:53 PM »
Thankfully, I haven't needed to visit a Lloyd's branch for some years - but if I did need to......
When we had to open accounts with TSB it refused to let me have a current account because the computer regarded me a s a credit risk. Ten minutes in the branch sorted it - because I always stay in credit in my cards, haven't borrowed money since my mortgage - paid off bin the early 80s, I was seen as high risk!!
Banks - I could *** them
Mike

Probably an unknown risk more than a high risk.

To alleviate the boredom of recent weeks, I've signed-up to three credit checking agencies & what they all say is amazing.

I have three credit cards, all with a zero balance which can cause my credit rating to drop & the advice is to use all of them because lenders & banks view unused cards as a warning flag that I might not trust myself to use them!!

So we're going to spread our shopping over the three cards & pay them all off each month.

Also the advice was not to ditch any of the cards nor to reduce the credit levels as this would be interpreted as me potentially getting into financial difficulties.

Another bit of advice was not to get near my credit limit so it's better to owe £5,000 on a card with a £15,000 credit limit than to owe £700 on a card with a £1,000 credit limit.

You couldn't make it up.

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2020, 06:36:41 PM »
Phil
They are interchangeable. I have them from at least two banks other than the one I'm with now and they all work.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »
They are interchangeable. I have them from at least two banks other than the one I'm with now and they all work.

That's worth knowing, I wouldn't mind using it each time I make a purchase online.

Hugh

« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:05:36 PM »
Got a Nat West Credit Card I was expecting a £2000 limit but I was given a £6500. I will never use that amount but nice to have for emergencies.

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:39:16 PM »
Got a Nat West Credit Card I was expecting a £2000 limit but I was given a £6500. I will never use that amount but nice to have for emergencies.

I never use a debit card to pay for anything, credit card every time.

If your bank account gets raided you have to get the bank to refund the lost cash, but with a credit card you say "that's not my transaction" & don't pay it.

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:33:07 PM »
Having paid with a credit card can be very useful in a disputed transaction in you are a buyer. If you sell on Ebay it is one of the main means that dishonest buyers use to scam you. Obviously when that happens it is at worst a tax write off but annoying to think some lowlife has got the better of you.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:07:29 AM »
Having paid with a credit card can be very useful in a disputed transaction in you are a buyer. If you sell on Ebay it is one of the main means that dishonest buyers use to scam you. Obviously when that happens it is at worst a tax write off but annoying to think some lowlife has got the better of you.

It would never occur to me to dispute a transaction that was mine so I assume, being business savvy, you send all your items by 'signed-for' insured delivery, because the fact that you send it doesn't mean the buyer has received it.

Amazon delivered a bag of cat litter which was packed into a box but the bag had split at the bottom so when I took it out of the box quite a large amount spilled our before I could stop it.

Fortunately I had the old empty cat litter bag & was able to transfer most of the litter into it.

Anyway I contacted Amazon & they were going to replace the whole bag of cat litter but I told them I only wanted a refund for the percentage we'd lost & I thought that was an honest way to deal with it.

Amazon refunded £5 which easily covered the cost of the litter we'd lost.

klondike

« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:22:44 AM »
If you use the card as I do it's surprising how high the balance can go.

I buy and pay everything possible on my credit card and have a DD to pay off the full amount when due. You get about a month before the bill becomes payable. That means that just before the DD is drawn there is almost two months spending on it. That dates from when the card used to pay cashback but that stopped recently meaning I may look around for one that still does. As it's my bank card though only having the one login is very convenient so I may not bother.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:27:23 AM »
If you use the card as I do it's surprising how high the balance can go.

I buy and pay everything possible on my credit card and have a DD to pay off the full amount when due. You get about a month before the bill becomes payable. That means that just before the DD is drawn there is almost two months spending on it. That dates from when the card used to pay cashback but that stopped recently meaning I may look around for one that still does. As it's my bank card though only having the one login is very convenient so I may not bother.

We're the same, two months of shopping on a credit card with a small limit soon takes it up to 80% of the available credit for the few days before the first month gets paid off.

But the credit checking loonies still score this against you.