Author Topic: Banks are a real pain in the ****  (Read 4300 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Banks are a real pain in the ****
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
Apart from that TSB hiccup, I never had occasion to worry about credit ratings. I haven’t taken out a loan since 1980 which was when I had to remortgage my then house to pay off my first wife. Can’t think of any circumstances in which I would need to borrow; always keep my cards in credit
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Jacqueline

« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
Because of Covid (or the excuse of) my bank has gone back to the old days of short inconvenient opening hours where the counter shuts at 2 pm.  My local branch was closed two years ago now its a 30 mile round trip to the bank. 

I don't get out too early these days, when I got to town three disabled parking bays were being used by delivery lorries ( despite a police van parked next to one of them who ignored them) I had to walk quite a long way, and made the deadline by a few minutes.

Among other things, I had a load of small change which I wanted to change up into notes, instead of just taking my bags and giving me £25, it now has to be paid into my account, what a faff.  I was told its money laundering regulations, yes I'm laundering bags of pennys for £25 quid!!!!!  Big brother is watching you!!!!!

I hate banks!!!!!!!

Jacqueline

« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »
Apart from that TSB hiccup, I never had occasion to worry about credit ratings. I haven’t taken out a loan since 1980 which was when I had to remortgage my then house to pay off my first wife. Can’t think of any circumstances in which I would need to borrow; always keep my cards in credit
Mike

Same here Mike, since the mortgage was paid off couldn't care less about my credit rating.

Diasi

« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:05:33 AM »

Same here Mike, since the mortgage was paid off couldn't care less about my credit rating.

I'm not bothered about mine but I started looking to pass the time & it's highlighted the gross inefficiency of a system that could stop a younger person from getting a mortgage or loan.

My latest credit score has gone down 36 points & our shopping credit card is showing a stupid balance because the last fully paid off payment isn't showing.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
There used to be advice on how to build a credit rating on MoneySavingExpert. Probably still is.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:37:07 AM »
There used to be advice on how to build a credit rating on MoneySavingExpert. Probably still is.

Anyway, just to pass more time I've raised a complaint with Experian just to see what response I get, as all the advice in the world is of little use if the credit checking agencies get their data wrong.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2020, 12:04:24 PM »
At the time of the TSB refusing me a current account (and all they had to do was to check my Lloyd's history) they used tow dredit agencies and out of idle irritation I checked my score with both. One gave me 340/1000, the 990+ - from memory, I think 996, again out of 1,000
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »
At the time of the TSB refusing me a current account (and all they had to do was to check my Lloyd's history) they used tow dredit agencies and out of idle irritation I checked my score with both. One gave me 340/1000, the 990+ - from memory, I think 996, again out of 1,000
Mike

I was two points down from Experian's maximum score in 2018, but when we sold our rental property & cleared off a small mortgage that wouldn't have bought a decent new car, my rating fell like a stone.

In the scheme of things it doesn't really matter but if I decided to change our shopping credit card to one that gave cashback, I'd probably be declined.

Plus I have an extreme annoyance if the information that's held about me isn't accurate.

klondike

« Reply #38 on: Nov 21, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
Plus I have an extreme annoyance if the information that's held about me isn't accurate.
These days it's good to have something unrelated to the government to be annoyed at. I must think what I can go off on one about. I'm sure I'll feel better then.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #39 on: Nov 21, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »
I dread to think what my score is, I paid off my credit card years ago, also my bank loan from when I moved to my own wee cottage in Perth, needed a lot of things to furnish it and most of the stuff I wanted from our family home.......my ex got, then sold it, B*****d. :(  I've had no debt for several years and just save to pay for anything I want.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #40 on: Nov 21, 2020, 01:04:25 PM »
They'd probably see you as being as credit worthy as a Great Train Robber!
Mike

Raven

« Reply #41 on: Nov 21, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
They'd probably see you as being as credit worthy as a Great Train Robber!
Mike

Aye, I guess that's it exactly.. ::) ::)

granny moss

« Reply #42 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »
Once I had the Bank manager and his wife come to Sunday dinner.....The builder was renovating the place, and moved us upstair in an enlarged flat. The problem was , the only access to the flat was up a ladder from the kitchen below, up the ladder through the airing cupboard on the bathroom  above.....They were both very brave coming up....but going down was a problem with his wife, as she was looking down and froze half way :D :D :D

Remember the TV ad....The Bank manager in the cupboard ?  :D

The garden was on a slope  and to exit the flat, we were having the largest balcony built, with  steps down to the level of the garden, a flag stone small patio and the reversed steps down to the next level.....When we sold, the new owners, built a four bedroom bungalow at the top of the garden, and turned the old place into three large flats.....and garages.....I was so glad to get away from that village.....

I hated running the mini market, and nearly all the nasty gossiping customers.....The gossip was so vicious, it caused 4 suicides in that village, in the short time we were there !!!!  Jennifer told me, this small village has the same bunch of vicious gossiping females....

Luckily we are at the end of the lane and the plots are large.  No neighbours too near either side.  gmx

Hugh

« Reply #43 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
Gossiping really can hurt people and made up of untrue facts GM. Once being a targeted I know the hurt feeling.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #44 on: Nov 22, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
Gossip can also be a case of Chinese Whispers. Years ago mum was told by someone that one of our neighbours had gassed himself. It wasn't true - he was alive and well. How that got started heaven alone knows
Mike