Author Topic: Electric surcharges  (Read 1390 times)

Ashy

Re: Electric surcharges
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
They are making a decent case for nationalisation. I don't think electricity has ever made a loss, certainly never used to.

Ashy

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
I have a bad feeling that we are going to get hammered over the next few years, what with the gas, the petrol and everything.

sparky

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2020, 05:40:17 PM »

They are making a decent case for nationalisation. I don't think electricity has ever made a loss, certainly never us

Energy, Water, Railways, should never be in the hands of private companies, IMO, particularly foreign ones, as so many are.

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »
They are making a decent case for nationalisation. I don't think electricity has ever made a loss, certainly never us

Energy, Water, Railways, should never be in the hands of private companies, IMO, particularly foreign ones, as so many are.

I agree 100%, all utilities should be in public ownership & run on a not-for-profit basis.

On re-reading my post where I said "No, as ronyork says, it's to recover money lost by freeloaders who haven't paid their electricity bills." I think I was a bit harsh, because there will be families who have run up electricity bills by virtue of having to be at home.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:14:20 PM »
Surely if people have been mainly at home they have saved money not spent on commuting, holidays and social outings? I know members of my own family have. Some of the heating and food bills have been bigger but there have still been significant savings.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »
Some on furlough will only be on 80% and there will be plenty more on universal credit getting even less.
So long and thanks for all the fish

brian54

« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:08:55 PM »
Electric surcharges, for folk who are careful with energy what next, Sorry l object to this some people cannot try too save and take l am going to be warm attitude,someone will pay, l know one!. If it is £21 as suggested can l deduct this amount from my bill? No doubt many would rather buy a packet of fags at £8/10 than energy or a bottle of booze, it’s a struggle to pay my wife’s care home fee,s but l do reluctantly, what a mess this country is in with so many free riders thinking the world owes them a living

I agree with this. I have a cousin who has hardly ever worked and he moans the rest of the family has more than him. He smokes. None of the family who had  genuinely worked of works does.

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2020, 07:59:31 AM »
Surely if people have been mainly at home they have saved money not spent on commuting, holidays and social outings? I know members of my own family have. Some of the heating and food bills have been bigger but there have still been significant savings.

A lot of locally-employed employees don't commute & not all of them can afford holidays & social outings so they had extra costs with no savings.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
I know that when I first began working at home several days a week (nothing to do with covid this was back in the 90s) I noticed I was spending significantly less on travel and lunches. Its surprising how much you waste on odd coffees and the like in work or a drink after work. You also waste a lot of money on clothes for work if you are in a corporate or public facing environment. You can work in your scruff at home and there is no one to see you.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.