Author Topic: Christmas decorating  (Read 1797 times)

Coastal

Re: Christmas decorating
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »
As I live alone and wont be having visitors, for a couple of years I didn't bother much, no lights just a few bits and bobs, but the last couple of years I have made a bit more effort, lights in the windows and inside, plus a few more decs to go with my multitude of cards (last year I got into double figures)  ;D 
They'll go up a couple of weeks before and come down on 12th night.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Alex22

« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:59:20 PM »
I've an idea you weren't around when Scrumpy was building her shed Alex. My post was just a joke. That said I possibly have a screw loose myself.

ooh I was,  she made us promise not to tell if I remember rightly

p.s. I got your joke

klondike

« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2020, 08:09:25 PM »
I felt bad about it because I just answered the question about sizing before I realised it was irrelevant and by the time I did the order was probably delivered. Damned Prime again.
So long and thanks for all the fish

digitalis

« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:23:40 AM »
Maybe we cooda kept big stores intown...and all the shops. Made it sorta vibrant and growing. Think how attractive it cooda bin.
I havent thought thru it all,but instead of letting all the space go out of town to big stores and warehouses and wotnot we cood have made coming into town easier. Out of town shopping was made cheaper by cheaper rents but it ate up the land and spread the urbanization. It garnered more car parking and more car and lorry travelling with car parks and all. Inner town went out of town cos it was cheaper...but it was more costly in lots of ways. If we could have had frequent bus or tram into town what excitement and visual pleasure it could have been. Still,we went the American way...spreading out the sprawl letting our towns become ghost towns. Now...too late to go back? We 'saved' a dollar but lost a wedge. Now we've ate up more land with more uglification with additional warehouses and petrol stations and supermarkets: concrete.
I feel sure there are arguments against my vision,but the one we have or seem to have adopted just Americanizes GB,and we dont have th space or want to lose the space to sprawl. Might be okay in France: bigger country. But here towns creep into towns,cities into cities.
Now we have Bezos building his grey monolith warehouses all over green fields...yes,admitted next to motorways...but six months back they were full of cows and some woods. More ruination!

GrannyMac

« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2020, 09:06:47 AM »
Keeping town centres thriving would have been nice digitalis. I regularly read complaints about parking in our city centre, because its not free.  If it was free all the workers would get there first anyway!  And we have a good tram service with three park and rides.

However, as a gesture the council has made on street parking free every weekend until Christmas. Might stop some of the moans. 🙄 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Scrumpy

« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »
As I live alone and wont be having visitors, for a couple of years I didn't bother much, no lights just a few bits and bobs, but the last couple of years I have made a bit more effort, lights in the windows and inside, plus a few more decs to go with my multitude of cards (last year I got into double figures)  ;D 
They'll go up a couple of weeks before and come down on 12th night.

Good on you Coastal.. Positive thinking..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Scrumpy

« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:56:51 AM »
Scrumpy might have a spare screw she could lend you...  ;D

Naughty FOURTY... you are a  ONE... You promised not to mention me and you regarding screws..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

klondike

« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2020, 11:09:33 AM »
Sorry it slipped out.....
I rarely mention size as a rule.

1 3/4 inches is 45mm in metric sizing. They should also specify how thick it should be. I'd guess at 6 or 8 and tbh it probably makes little difference which. 6 is a tad thinner than 8.
So long and thanks for all the fish