Author Topic: Salvation Army  (Read 507 times)

Hugh

Salvation Army
« on: Dec 02, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
Are asking £19 for elderly home people. I wonder if a quick email to them will get me £19 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Michael Rolls

Re: Salvation Army
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:02:23 PM »
One of my regular charities. They do a lot of good
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »
It's a one off donation isn't it  ? 👍

Coastal

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:11:47 PM »
I gave them £20 for this years appeal, my annual donation 
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
I'm hoping to see them around our shopping centre playing carols.  Really Christmassy, and lots of shoppers feed the collecting tins. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:39:48 PM »
It's one of the charities that I give to, but I don't like any charity specifying amounts.

One time in Hamburg, I was going for a meal with a colleague.  A Salvation army man was standing outside the restaurant selling "The War Cry".  We explained as best we could that we didn't know enough German to read it.
At this, he produced an English one and said "Thank goodness, I've been trying to get rid of this for ages".
We gave him a few Euro, but I don't think either of us read the magazine.
You'll have had your tea.

granny moss

« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:05:37 AM »
Salvation army and Red cross, and the rescue elicopters do a LOT of work and good around the World. It is amazing what they do.  I had help from them. Also, the Dispensary hospital for sick animals. They helped me a lot, when my Benny was sick.  There are some extremely good genuine charities out there, the problem is to know wich ones deserve pour help. gmx

Hugh

« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:27:05 AM »
Two I support are Helicopter rescue and dogs for the blind, and have, and will donate to red cross appeals, and I made a £300 donation to a Mansfield hospice and will donate again in February. Salvation Army the only reason I know about them because they are on the telly. Visiting home alone pensioners I am one myself and have been for nearly 2 years I have never seen one or any one I know.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:50:10 AM »
I support Guide dogs for the Blind, the Dogs Trust, the Salvation Army, the local Charity Air Ambulance, the RNLI, Cats Protection, Crisis, Red Cross, RAF Benevolent Fund, World Wild Live Fund, CAFOD, Scottish SPCA, Sight Savers, Kidney Research, MacMillan.
None of them get very much. I do sometimes wonder if I shouldn't reduce the number and boost the amount each gets, but can't bring myself to do it
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Coastal

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2020, 11:38:15 AM »
As I said I give to the Sally Army Christmas Appeal, the others I support are Cancer UK, RSPB, RNLI, Rainbow Trust, Marine Conservation Soc and the Cambrian Mountain Soc, I do support the Welsh Air Ambulance when I donate items (shop in Rhayader) and my spare change that I save up (don't get so much though these days)
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

granny moss

« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:32:54 PM »
I did paintings for the Salvation army, and told them if they sold them for less than £25  each I would not do anymore.... :D   They put them in the window and sold them and were very pleased.gmx

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »
I wont give to any charity or appeal which specified amounts because it comes across as greedy. I dont give to large appeals like Red Nose Day and Children in Need because I believe there is a high level of corruption with high salaries for top brass and very little going to the cause. I support St Dunstans (a military charity for disabled veterans) and Guide Dogs for the Blind because they both helped my father.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Johned

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:01:00 PM »
My dear old dad would never hear a word against the Sally Army.  As he used to say when they got back from Dunkirk, the only help he got was from that blessed organisation, who provided he and his mates with shaving gear, tea and refreshments; nobody else wanted to know!

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
Wow, what a charitable bunch!

We both support BHF obviously, my OH is unlikely to have survived without their research! I also support a local homeless charity, and I play our local hospital lottery.  Not that I've ever won anything. 🤕
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:43:06 PM »
i wouldnt pass a salvation army collection tin
they obviously dont know your there Hugh
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”