Author Topic: Remembering Disco dancing.....  (Read 6193 times)

granny moss

Remembering Disco dancing.....
« on: Dec 04, 2020, 05:52:30 AM »
When Jenny got married, Micky set up with Jimmy a kind of rudimental disco , with coloured lights that changed colours with the music.....We all enjoyed the dancing....At the end of the party, Jimmy got booked for parties from some of the guests.....Das began the first mobile Disco in Norwich in the 70s....and the most exciting years in our life.....Jenny, a couple of friends and I, we used to go to start the timid guests dancing.....Weddings and birthdays kept Jimmy very busy. When he packed all up, he had over 3.000  records !.... Lovely times !!!!  Of course I miss all that !!!! gmx

Michael Rolls

Re: Remembering Disco dancing.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:26:20 AM »
Sounds to have been grand fun!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:05:10 AM »
I was never very fond of discos as I hate crowds.

My nephew has just taken delivery of a smoke machine and a strobe light for a friend who does not have an Amazon prime account. The mate is coming to get it today. Apparently he is really into disco and he and his partner are planning to have a good time over christmas.  Glad he is not my neighbour.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
One persons good fortune is another's bad luck sometimes.

OH was in a pro dance band working in a Top Rank ballroom until discos came along.  That started the demise of dance halls as we knew them. Paying a DJ as opposed to 15-20 musicians was a no brainer.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:39:24 AM »
The first disco were born in the late 1950s the year of rock and roll. Really exciting times.

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2020, 01:26:44 PM »
Fascinating how some people can be so negative in their lives.  I think we are all different in what we do and like. Diversity is the spice of life.... :D Everyone'slife is their own, and I love reading about it !  A bunch of lovely and interesting people.  Apart from a couple that are very boring and pedantic.... :D ::) ....

But this is only my opinion...and I am mostly wrong.... :'( :D gmx

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »
I loved dancing, from the groups of the 1960s onwards you would find me anywhere with music and dancing.  The nuns even approved and agreed to us being taught to ballroom dance at school.

I just loved disco after seeing Saturday Night Fever.  My husbands younger sister would babysit and we used to go to a couple of really good disco pubs in north London and I'd dance all night.  Oh how I wish I could dance like that now, my knees won't let me  :'( :'( :'(

Hugh

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »
The old days Twist and Shout Chubby Checker 1959 I believe. I certainly enjoyed the late 1950s and early 1960s. The top twenty hit parade changed over night to something really exciting for us youngsters. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »
Back then I used to take New Musical Express (does it still exist?) and I remember after Rock 'n Roll got the world reeling an article on what had happened to those who had been making hit records before Bill Haley, Elvis, etc. Names like Jimmy Young, David Whitfield, David Hughes, Gawd - I can't remember any more, but there was quite a list - oh, and the list was UK centric
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »

Dennis Lotis, Dickie Valentine, Petula Clark, Alma Cogan, to mention a few. Bill Haley, Elvis, Johnny Ray, Everly Brothers.

Then we had the Liverpool sound, too many to mention. I thought the Beatles were amazing. Remember also Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark Five.  I'm sure others will remember more.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »
Of course, Dennis Lotus. The early days of R&R where male dominated, so I wasn’t thinking of the ladies nor from memory, did the article
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »
what about Frankie Vaughan  ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Jacqueline

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:19:05 PM »
what about Frankie Vaughan  ;D

In the 1980s one Christmas our manager, a lady more my parents age, organised an outing to see Frankie Vaughan at a Devon Hotel.  Us younger ones were not too excited about it, but must say he was blooming good and we had a great evening.

A couple of years latter she took us to see Chas and Dave and what a wonderful evening that was too.

I love all music pre 1990s, haven't a clue about  modern day music, I can't stand all the warbling and rapping stuff, I expect I'm missing some good stuff somewhere but these days I listen more to Classic FM.

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:25:33 PM »
Chas & Dave - great! And Frankie Vaughn. Matt Monro is a favourite of mine, voice like velvet.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »
Dennis Lotis, Dickie Valentine, Petula Clark, Alma Cogan, to mention a few. Bill Haley, Elvis, Johnny Ray, Everly Brothers.

Then we had the Liverpool sound, too many to mention. I thought the Beatles were amazing. Remember also Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark Five.  I'm sure others will remember more.

Pardon me miss but I think you'll find Herman's Hermits were from MANCHESTER!  ;D ..Ah, as you were..You didn't say they were from Liverpool, just the way I read it..DC Five were Lungdoners weren't they?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.