Author Topic: Remembering Disco dancing.....  (Read 6192 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Remembering Disco dancing.....
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »
DC5 were from Tottenham I believe. I didn't know where Peter Noone of Herman's fame was from. I liked the Hollies, saw them in Dundee in the early 60s.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »
Herman was Ena Sharples grandson in Corra, before he was a pop star...Peter Noone i think...
how can i remember that and forget bacon when shopping?...Davy Jones of the Monkees was also someones grandson on corra
did i watch corra...lol... if i wanted to watch footie then yes i had to watch corra
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:31:31 PM »
The Hollies made a wonderful sound..Then Graham Nash joined up with Dave Crosby and Stevie Stills to form Crosby, Stills and Nash which wrote and recorded Marakesh Express amongst others before Neil Young joined up with 'em..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:34:08 PM »
Chas & Dave - great! And Frankie Vaughn. Matt Monro is a favourite of mine, voice like velvet.

I'd forgotten Matt Munro, he had a lovely voice, loved him singing From Russia with Love among others.

Any Stones or Animals fans here?

biglouis

« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:04:59 AM »
Despite being from Liverpool I was never a big Beatles fan.

I preferred Lennon McCartney as song writers. "Yesterday" and "Eleanor Rigby" are two of the most haunting songs I know.

I preferred the American singers like Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, Gene Pitney etc. That was a bit before disco.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2020, 02:06:02 AM »
I'm with you..'Runaway' is one of the signature songs of my youth.. I thought McCartney wrote 'Yesterday' solo..'She's Leaving Home' is up there with 'Eleanor Rigby' in the beautifully haunting stakes..imo of course. My own entry to playing music was Ewan MacColl, Pentangle and Steeleye Span stuff..Also long before 80s Disco.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2020, 03:22:59 AM »
To the haunting list I would add ‘Unchained Melody’. Much earlier than the others mentioned of course, mid 50s
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2020, 07:33:43 AM »

I love the Beetles......"Imagin all the people"...and "Where are all the flowers gone ?..."   When I listen to them, I simply have tears rolling down my cheeks... If they could write and compose  only those two...they show what kind of persons they were......

Please try not to be so negative about us......we also have many problems in our lives, but I think most of us are trying to be cheerful and enjoy what we have and what we do.  Life is not easy, expecially at the present moment....

.And if some are so lucky, that they can still be able to drive,and ponce about in their cars, God keep them safe, and let them post the lovely photos on here. I love looking at them. The last one of the rickety fencing posts and the snow, I have done a watercolour of it, with ink outlines....Love it !

A good day to all. gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2020, 08:25:54 AM »
Well said, granny
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2020, 11:05:14 AM »
I'm with you..'Runaway' is one of the signature songs of my youth.. I thought McCartney wrote 'Yesterday' solo..'She's Leaving Home' is up there with 'Eleanor Rigby' in the beautifully haunting stakes..imo of course. My own entry to playing music was Ewan MacColl, Pentangle and Steeleye Span stuff..Also long before 80s Disco.. ;D

I loved Steeleye Span.  A couple of years ago I saw Maddy Prior at our local Theatre she was great.  We get some good shows at The Lyric Carmarthen, but of course its all closed now makes me so sad.  As soon as its safe to do so will make sure I go to everything going to support them.  I wonder how many Theatres and Cinemas will never open their doors again?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »
I would imagine quite a lot
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2020, 12:42:53 PM »

I liked the Stones.. can't believe they are still standing yet alone still singing..

Tom Jones has a voice that is still powerful today.. what a gift.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »

I liked the Stones.. can't believe they are still standing yet alone still singing..

I hated the Stones, they creeped me out. Even more so today when I see Mike on stage trying to look young n sexy.........Shudder.

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:18:58 PM »

Tom Jones is a rarity. He sounds great and doesn't dye his hair, unlike Cliff, who no longer channels his 'bachelor boy' youthful image.

I think the Stones are mummified with robotics inside! 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Raven

« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:29:00 PM »
I think the Stones are mummified with robotics inside!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D