Author Topic: back in the sixties,  (Read 381 times)

Alfred

back in the sixties,
« on: Dec 05, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
Yes im sure many of us have lovely memories of our youth  going to town hall dances, where big bands of the day played the then popular music of the day,
groups of boys and groups of girls eyed each other up seeking either a dancing, partner, possible boyfriend , even marriage at some  later date ,

the boys many dressed as teddy boys and some really looked the part whilst others were a near miss , and the same for the girls,  in those days i too went to the town hall dances with five or six other boys as we were then , hoping to end up with a girl to show off to our mates,

there was one boy and as much as we tried to lure the girls onto the floor this boy didn't have to do any of that , he had the Midas touch when it came to girls he would be chased all night long as girl after girl tried to out wit their friends as he in the end decided who he wanted, and boy how jealous of him we were

time after time it was the same story and he had the pick of some real beauties , whilst i suppose the rest of us were down hearted unable to get a girl on the dance floor or even talk to us, ,

no doubt about it he pulled the girls without even trying, for the rest of us it was hard work with little or no results,  not for the lack of trying ending the night exhausted, disappointed, vowing the next week end we would make a better attempt in trying that little bit harder,

this boy had the effect on girls where two girls would end up fighting over him , and no doubt to their minds he was the bees knees,  so to them he was a handsome guy,  of course he knew it too, he had the looks, the build , the chat up lines to match , how ever with all that he had, the sad thing was he couldn't read, or write, yet nature equipped him with good looks ,

in our group we were the other way round , i suppose didn't have the looks ,
but could do every thing else,
of course , the Eric Delaney, band then was regularly playing at the town hall as did other bands to which iv long forgotten, but with singers such as lita Rosa dickie valentine then  it made the evening go well ,

after wards the Beatles and many well know groups became the norm and the music for the sixties was great,

Q; what memories have you of the sixties of those times when to have a girl friend  meant going to the town hall was the best chance,

I'm sure the ladies on the forum might also have have some lovely memories of those times,  and are you willing to share them with us, ??

Raven

Re: back in the sixties,
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »
Saturday Night at Perth's City Hall was buzzing back in the 60s. They had the main act as a well known biggie in the charts. Saw many of the Bands there. Saw Lulu, Sandy Shaw, The Mersey Beats, Dave Dee, The Monkies. The Kinks, Spencer Davies, Hermans Hermits, Marmalade, Manfred Mann. To name but a few.

GrannyMac

Re: back in the sixties,
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2020, 05:05:28 PM »
I went to the Salutation in Perth a couple of times Raven but never City Hall. Saw the Beatles at the Caird Hall, Dundee in 1963. Couldn't hear a blummin thing! 

You've mentioned some good ones!   The instructor at the aqua class (I miss it!) often plays 60s tracks.  I love them.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais