Author Topic: Perfect roast potatoes  (Read 541 times)

Scrumpy

Perfect roast potatoes
« on: Dec 05, 2020, 12:27:11 PM »

Next Sunday I am doing a family Christmas dinner.. My son-in-law makes wonderful roast potatoes and I just want to get mine right this year..

Has any one got any tips on getting the perfect roast potatoes..?
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

granny moss

Re: Perfect roast potatoes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
The oil in the roasting tin should be quite hot.  Slice the pot in half and place in the tin flat down. Then brush them over well with the hot oil, put in the hot oven middle self and keep an eye on them, turning over now and then to keep them moist with the oil. A sprig of rosmary should add some flavour....optional. Good luck...gmx

Or you can ask your daughter how he does them.?... :D I used to do potatoes ribbons.....After peeling the pots, I carried on the peeling until the last bit.....Then I dusted them with flour , after shaking them, I deep fried......Nice curled and crisp...... Put them on kitchen paper to dry the oil.....gmx

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2020, 12:44:45 PM »

What oil do you suggest.. ? so many chefs recommend different oils..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »
I only and always use Virgin olive oil in cooking and salads.  Never animal fat....Butter for eggs.  Never butter my bread or toast for sandwiches. If I need moist, I use best mayonnese.  I hate the smell of fish, but I make a paste of majonnese mixing with a fork, Salmon and spread it on the toasted bread.   I always toast the bread.  I think it gets rid of the gluten in it ?.....gmx

granny moss

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:16:40 PM »
I love veal cutlets in bread crumbs.....In Italy is a normal usual dish....But I was thought a cheaper way.....A nice lean pork loin. Slice in half if too thick.Tenderise it with the mallet....Then, beat a couple of eggs in a bowl. Put the cutlets in to the bowl and in the fridge overnight.   Make some bread crumbsfrom toasted bread slices . Next day, spread the bread crumbs into a large plate.  The bowl with meat / eggs next to it. The lot on worktop next to oven
hot ring.  A frying pan on low heat on the cooker with  some lurepak melted....when not too hot, take a slice of the meat with egg and coat it in the bread crumbs and lower it into the frying pan a couple of minutes and then turn it over...and after a couple of minutes, try with a fork how tender it is ....The tip of your index should dip in it....Keep turning over until it is tender and cooked. Put it aside in a warm plate. Do the same until all the meat is cooked and golden..   You have now the most tender and delicious BISTECCA to be enjoyed with a lovely italian salad .   Mix olive oil, ciderwine vinegar, salt and pepper, shake and pour on the salad. Enjoy !gmx

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:38:06 PM »

Has any one got any tips on getting the perfect roast potatoes..?

This is how I do my roast potatoes Scrumpy. Peel them and cut into equal size chunks. Boil vigorously for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and allow to dry off a little before returning to the saucepan.  Add a large dollop of goose fat (most supermarkets sell it in jars) to the pan. Stir until potatoes are well coated in fat and tip into a baking tray. Sprinkle an exceedingly small quantity of flour through a fine sieve over the top turn them over and sprinkle again. Roast in a hot oven.

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2020, 02:47:33 PM »
Have you got an air fryer Scrumpy  ?   I do mine in a fryer now, also use olive oil to brush the potatoes.  My Mum used to cook her roasties in the roasting tin using the fat from the joint.  I never could get mine as nice as hers,  and her gravy was to die for, I never mastered that either 😃😃

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2020, 03:14:51 PM »
The best roast potatoes I can remember were in my school dinners. Hard to believe I know.

Sheila

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2020, 03:27:50 PM »
We boil the potatoes for several minutes, drain the water and then shake the pan to roughen up the outside of the potato.

Put them into very hot fat (we use rapeseed oil) and turn after about 20 mins.

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
First of all, you want a nice floury potato.  I  normally use "Kerrs pink" though this year they're almost too floury.  Otherwise, Maris Piper or Saxon is usually OK.  Par boil the potato chunks, drain and give a shake to fluff up the surface.  Place in a tray and brush liberally with goose fat and then roast.
You'll have had your tea.

Scrumpy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »
Thank  you..
I think I will try doing them on a baking tray rather then a roasting dish. Instead of putting them in hot fat I will coat them in hot fat..
I don’t have an air fryer Alex..
I have already made my gravy from juices of meats that I have cooked over the last few weeks.. These I have frozen ...

David G

« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2020, 05:43:58 PM »
I have a few home made chips instead, they do the job it saves a lot of faffing around.😉😷😎
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2020, 06:55:24 PM »
Just make your chips fatter  :):):)

Scrumpy

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2020, 06:57:15 PM »
I have a few home made chips instead, they do the job it saves a lot of faffing around.😉😷😎

;D ;D ;D  If only...

David G

« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »
Just make your chips fatter  :) :) :)
When I say chips I only have a mini deep fat fryer so they're actually small fried potato chunks but nice and crispy the way I like them.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.