Author Topic: Having accidents and near misses....  (Read 3616 times)

granny moss

Having accidents and near misses....
« on: Dec 08, 2020, 05:49:50 AM »
I have had so many accidents, falls, and near misses during my life.....and also a near death experience.....I am like a cat....The funniest one was when :Micky and I used to go to the Walshingham Shrine, to light candles.....and used to take there any guest that happened to be with us at the time  ::)

I decided that time was up and was too old to drive all that way on the very narrow roads....So, we went a last time, and I lit 10 candles....to last for a while... :)

When we got back home, I opened the garden gate and tripped over the step....I landed on my side on the flag stones with my head in the hydrengea bush....

Terrible pain and could not get up.  Micky called 999 and was taken to hospital....I craked some ribs on my side.  The young irish doctor that came to check  on me asked : Does it hurt....?     No, only when I laugh....I answered !   I still remember the look on his young face !!!!! :D

Jacqueline

Re: Having accidents and near misses....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2020, 11:21:05 AM »
We have two wide steps up to the drive from the bungalow, my husband tripped up the first one landed breaking his hip on the second.  Its so easy to do, these days I am ultra slow on steps and alway hold on to something, have seen what can happen and try not to take any chances.

Walshingham is a lovely place GM, have been there a couple of times.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »
And amongst we oldies, a serious break like that can often lead to pneumonia. Be careful !
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2020, 01:54:09 PM »
I no longer have the confidence to go up or downstairs as a "normal" person because I lack the co-ordination. I have to do it one step at a time. I used to run upo and down ladders doing my own wallpapering. Now I wont stand on a small low stool and I don't even like being this tall (5 ft 8 ins)  ;D ;D ;D
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2020, 03:11:46 PM »
And amongst we oldies, a serious break like that can often lead to pneumonia. Be careful !
It can certainly lead to a period in hospital and from stats I've read about 25% of covid infections are hospital acquired....
So long and thanks for all the fish

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
When Micky fell down the stairs and ended in A&E, the hospital had a handrail fitted on the wall opposite the stairs bannister.  It made it safe to go up and down the stairs holding on to them. gmx

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
One of my wife's grannies ended up in a care home after a fall. She absolutely hated it and became a rather unpleasant old lady because of her misery there. She was unfortunate enough to retain all of her marbles.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
I no longer have the confidence to go up or downstairs as a "normal" person because I lack the co-ordination. I have to do it one step at a time. I used to run upo and down ladders doing my own wallpapering. Now I wont stand on a small low stool and I don't even like being this tall (5 ft 8 ins)  ;D ;D ;D

Funny that you mention that..When I was ill earlier in the year I had this strange sensation of being aware of my height and how far it was to the floor.. I'm a little over 6 ft but I'd never felt aware of it before..Very odd feeling..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2020, 06:32:26 PM »
Well I seem to be shrinking, so I'm closer to the floor now should I fall . 😃

Scrumpy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
In my first job I worked in a grocery store..
 Twice a week I would wash the shop floor and behind the counter.. I would get a bucket of warm soapy water and ..on my knees wash the floor.. The floor space was narrow behind the counter and I would work backwards.. All of a sudden I fell down into the cellar .. bucket and all.. Someone had left the hatch door open.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »
 Twice a week I would wash the shop floor and behind the counter.. I would get a bucket of warm soapy water and ..on my knees wash the floor.. The floor space was narrow behind the counter and I would work backwards.. All of a sudden I fell down into the cellar .. bucket and all.. Someone had left the hatch door open.

You outdone us all with that one Scrumpy, were you badly hurt?

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »

;D  Very 'Only Fools'..This time next year Scrumpers..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2020, 07:36:41 PM »
In my teens I ran for a moving bus, jumped and caught the pole (remember when they had open platforms) but missed the platform. Ended up in the road with a dislocated wrist.  Felt really stupid!  ☺️

i remember a doctor on TV being asked the secret to a healthy old age. He simply said 'don't fall'. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »

;D  Very 'Only Fools'..This time next year Scrumpers..

Wasn't the hatch episode voted the funniest scene on TV?   That and the chandelier were priceless!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:21:53 PM »
Ouch! In night duty in the RAF in the control tower I went to go down to the approach room from the cupola - the access between the two was a 'companionway' - actually a very steep ladder with handrails. Somehow missed the first step down so fell 15 feet to the floor below.  Couple of weeks before I could walk without pain, but miraculously didn't break anything
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!