Author Topic: Covid vaccine trial  (Read 2301 times)

klondike

Covid vaccine trial
« on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:47:25 AM »
It seems that the Oxford/AstraZenika team have joined up with the Russians in a joint trial to see if a mix/match scenario of the two turns out to be more effective than either individually.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/12/13/creators-britains-vaccine-and-russias-vaccine-team-up-joint-trials/

The teams behind Britain’s Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine and Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine will join forces to see if their coronavirus prophylactics work better in combination.

The British vaccine had been touted by its supporters as having greater potential for worldwide application than its Pfizer and Moderna competitors due to comparatively low cost and purported ability to keep at the sort of temperatures achievable in an ordinary fridge.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

Re: Covid vaccine trial
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
It could work out but there will be quite a few combinations to check assuming they stick with two vaccinations. The two Russian doses are not the same type and the best Astrazenika one was where the first was half strength.

I have seen quite a few concerns expressed about the two novel RNA vaccines which will be the first time such vaccines have been used commercially.
===
Realised that is not clear. The two in the joint trial are both more traditional types. It's the approved Moderna one and A. N. Other which isn't yet and the name of which escapes me which are the new RNA type vaccines.

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »
That is hopeful news, so yes, fingers crossed.

Akbuk

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:15:49 PM »
Can’t believe that as yet, no vaccines are in use in the EU.
Even 60/70% protection is better than zero %.
I did read something on the lines that the delay is linked to how they dish it out across the 27 member states, nonetheless it needs to be on the streets NOW.
I’m a real he/him.

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:18:18 PM »
I suspect the delay is because the licensing authority don't want to risk killing more from adverse side effects than they save from a virus that has already pretty much reached the herd immunity level.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:27:51 PM »
Interesting exchange of letters in the paper last week. First correspondent was all for people being compulsorily vaccinated and having to wear a badge to demonstrate the fact because he 'didn't want to be at risk from an infectious person on public transport or it a busy environment'.
The response was gratifying. Made the point that the first person was presumably of the opinion that the vaccine would be effective. Therefore, if he had been vaccinated, what was he worried about? Secondly, if he hadn't been vaccinated, what was he doing being in such an environment in the first place?
Mike

Akbuk

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
I suspect the delay is because the licensing authority don't want to risk killing more from adverse side effects than they save from a virus that has already pretty much reached the herd immunity level.

Definitely the licensing authority is playing a major part but are they doubting the UK/US/Canada’s data findings?

I’m a real he/him.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:52:18 PM »
Perhaps they are looking at the data more closely or perhaps they are just slower. I would not expect any licensing authority to pass any drug or procedure just because another had. That is a way of saying we are redundant.

Perhaps they hope that the delay will increase take up as people will think it was more rigourously examined?

Akbuk

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2020, 02:49:29 PM »
Another one passed, it can only be good news for all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-55370999
I’m a real he/him.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
Here's hoping
Mike

Akbuk

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:15:50 AM »
Thank the Lord we never got hooked up with these chumps. Don't they get that whilst they're mulling things over that have already been passed and put into use elsewhere, people are catching this virus and dying?

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/europe/eu-delays-decision-on-moderna-vaccine-as-blame-game-heats-up-1.1140528
I’m a real he/him.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:38:24 AM »
Frankly, it's about what I would expect from that organisation and any body associated with it
Mike

Akbuk

« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2021, 12:05:45 PM »
Frankly, it's about what I would expect from that organisation and any body associated with it
Mike

I read an article the other day re the vaccine that we have been using for a few weeks now. The UK got its order in on that vaccine in July, the EU came late to that party & put their order through in September. Seems it works like most things in this life, first come, first served.

So, am I right in saying apart from saving lives, Nations that get these vaccines into peoples arms will get their industries and economies back on track first?
I’m a real he/him.

Akbuk

« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2021, 12:33:49 PM »
Far be it for me to suggest but.........if someone or an organization has screwed up the actual ordering of vaccines, then the delay on passing these vaccines could well have been manufactured. I mean, even if vaccines are passed, you've still got to get hold of them & currently there is a shortage.
I’m a real he/him.