Author Topic: New Years Honors  (Read 2058 times)

Jacqueline

New Years Honors
« on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:32:18 PM »
Have just heard that Lewis Hamilton is to be knighted, what a bloody insult to all those doctors and nurses who have been on the frontline of Covid 19.  Everyone of them should get a knighthood instead of a bloke who just drives fast. 

StephenM123

Re: New Years Honors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:42:19 PM »
The Honours list is an out of date joke as are Honoury Degrees and Doctorates! The people working on the vaccines need honours but will probably be satisfied knowing they are saving millions of lives!

biglouis

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:45:35 PM »
Carol Doggett, senior matron in intensive care at Morriston Hospital in Swansea, who accepted her MBE on behalf of NHS staff and coronavirus patients — Carol saw 13 members of her staff become patients on the intensive care unit. They include several health, care and ambulance workers who are given the awards for their work in looking after patients and NHS staff during the Covid-19 pandemic.

They also include mountain rescuers, scientists, teachers and a Welsh footballing legend.

This is the most ethnically diverse honours list, with 14% of recipients coming from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic background.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2020, 12:19:40 AM »
Carol Doggett senior nurse on the frontline of Covid given an MBE,  Mr. Broom Broom knighted, hardly right and fair is it? if they can't give honours to those who deserve it they should scrap the whole thing.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2020, 02:54:05 AM »
At least no mention of the three Bs, Blair,  Brown and Bercow
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2020, 06:40:05 AM »
At least no mention of the three Bs, Blair,  Brown and Bercow
Mike

😀😀

We might not always appreciate who has been chosen to receive honours, but when we produce a multiple world championship winner they are always likely candidates.  Sirs Jackie Stewart and the late Stirling Moss are two previous winners from the same sport. 

I think the system is outdated, but whilst we have it, the candidates for honours will always be controversial.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2020, 06:56:53 AM »
Very true - I've been overlooked again!
Mike 😡😁😁😁😁
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
 ;D ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

xetog

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2020, 10:21:30 AM »
As a young man, being very patriotic, I admired those who received honours at new year, or the Queen's birthday, but as I grew older i came to realise what a debased system we have which is a political plaything and little to do with the Queen.

In its modern form it is unnecessary and corrupt, and to see so many receive high honours making money, whilst deserving ordinary folk get crumbs sickens me.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2020, 04:16:25 PM »
Almost certain, I'd say..Personally I can't get to like the man but he's an exceptional driver, which isn't just down to 'driving'..He has immense concentration and race-sense..usually.. ;)  And it's not just cos he's in a great car..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
I don’t care as long as bloody Beckham doesn’t get one..
He has purposely been overlooked and he knows it..
He was so angry when he didn’t get one a couple of years back..
When he really thought he would .. He threw his toys out of the pram and said what he thought of the stupid Honours.. Wonderful.. that will assure that he will never get one.. Thick or what.. !!
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2020, 06:40:32 PM »
As if his ego wasn't big enough already ! :):):)

Bee

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2021, 06:51:18 AM »
The one person I believe deserved his MBE above several others is Marcus Rashford for his campaign for free school meals and got the government to overturn the no free school meals.
The only way is up....

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2021, 07:01:38 AM »
Yes Bee, its good to see someone who's made a fortune want to help hungry children through this difficult time.  I'm pleased he got the award.

However the question remains, what are the circumstances that create this need? But that's for another thread.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2021, 08:20:15 AM »

The one person I believe deserved his MBE above several others is Marcus Rashford for his campaign for free school meals and got the government to overturn the no free school meals.

But was it genuine concern on his part, or as is often the case, with celebs when mounting  these campaigns, an attempt to improve their public image.