Author Topic: New Years Honors  (Read 2057 times)

Jacqueline

Re: New Years Honors
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »
Marcus Rashford's MBE is for a cause to help others thats as it should be.   It just dosen't seem right that a sportsman in it for his own glory gets the knighthood.

crabbyob

« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2021, 11:42:13 AM »
i remember many years ago i was attending a meeting of the local F.A. when the chairman had been awarded the MBE... he sat on the small stage, his chest stuck out [rightly so] and opened the box to show us the reward, em award...lol... 'this is not mine' he told us 'it belongs to all of you' i put my hand up, he nodded recognising i wanted to speak, his eyes were gleaming as i stood up 'if its ours can i take it home to show the kids' the box was closed and never mentioned again.... now dont get me wrong the man had devoted his life to football, but he wasnt on his own there were a dozen other men at that particular meeting that had put in more years on the touchline than our chairman had.... but they had sat in the wrong committees
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Bee

« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2021, 03:28:37 PM »
The one person I believe deserved his MBE above several others is Marcus Rashford for his campaign for free school meals and got the government to overturn the no free school meals.

But was it genuine concern on his part, or as is often the case, with celebs when mounting  these campaigns, an attempt to improve their public image.

Yes it was a genuine concern of his, no doubt about it.
The only way is up....

StephenM123

« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2021, 12:41:29 AM »
One sportsman I always thought never  got the knighthood he deserved is Mike Hailwood. After a very successful TT and GP career he took up car racing progressing. Although he achieved reasnoble results he was never a championship contender. What stands out in that period was that in the 1973 South African GP he pulled Clay Regazzoni from a blazing wreck despite his own overalls catching fire. A true hero not one promoted to hero for winning races or scoring goals!  

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2021, 12:58:26 AM »

Yes it was a genuine concern of his, no doubt about it.

Very much agree Bee. And Stephen, it wasn't for his football. He's a credit to his lovely mum.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:45:03 AM »

Very much agree Bee. And Stephen, it wasn't for his football. He's a credit to his lovely mum.

Thanks for your comment zoony.
The only way is up....

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:53:11 AM »
The one person I believe deserved his MBE above several others is Marcus Rashford for his campaign for free school meals and got the government to overturn the no free school meals.

But was it genuine concern on his part, or as is often the case, with celebs when mounting  these campaigns, an attempt to improve their public image.

Even if it was genuine he'll do alright out of it as it'll attract more sponsorship for him.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Hugh

« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »
Sir Black Lives Matter Hamilton who keeps his fortune out of the reach of our tax man. Its made a mockery of anyone with a Knighthood.

crabbyob

« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:14:36 AM »
if he is keeping his millions out of our taxmans reach then he must only be allowed into the country for a limited number of days... we should all send an e-mail to whoever decides these honours [certainly not the queen] he is not a knight of OUR realm... perhaps he could get a Bob Marley award for his stupid hair do
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Hugh

« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »
He lives in Monaco I believe Crabbyob.

crabbyob

« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:21:18 AM »
is she a big girl Hugh.. ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
😁😁😁
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Gazza56

« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:39:05 AM »
Many moons ago while serving in the RN we had a leading stoker who had risked his own life to go into a burning boiler room to save the lives of 2 other stokers , His reward an OBE which he never talked about unless cornered about it he struggled it of saying it was only what anyone would do . The point is he saved 2 people's life's .You then get fat cats sitting on boards being well payed and getting knighthoods/ MBES etc for not doing anything else than their jobs which is in turn being done by other people !!!! Sometimes life is not fair

Hugh

« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »
spelling  ;D ;D ;D ;D

sparky

« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:59:27 AM »
Its been said a hundred times the honours system is a bloody joke, but when you consider the only people that could change it are in most cases the gormless prats and their cronies who get the best honours even though undeserved.