Author Topic: Brexit will cause the pound to tank  (Read 7225 times)

crabbyob

Re: Brexit will cause the pound to tank
« Reply #105 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:14:21 PM »
i got a big TV because it and the computer are my sole means of entertainment
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #106 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:15:38 PM »
Given up on the ukulele ol' crab?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #107 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:17:13 PM »
I think the size of the telly depends on the size of your sitting room surely ?  a 55" is ok in the pub, but in the average sitting room would be quite overpowering.  Mine is 40" or 42" I cant remember which,  but then again......size doesn't matter to women.

zoony

« Reply #108 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:26:55 PM »
So why do you always want the biggest cream cake?..eh?..eh?

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #109 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:27:47 PM »
Unkind!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #110 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:34:27 AM »
i got a big TV because it and the computer are my sole means of entertainment

Just a part of it Crabbyob seeing a film on a large TV gives the cinema experience. Sport is also more enjoyable. If space was a problem I would have chose a tv with the very best picture quality so could sit closer.

klondike

« Reply #111 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »
I don't think any TV is going to give the cinema experience. Not that I've been to one in donkey's years mind.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #112 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »
Given up on the ukulele ol' crab?

i hurt my left hand Zoon, i may take it to india to start with it, my hand is still very tight
i think its with being in yorks for so long.. ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Hugh

« Reply #113 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:09:20 AM »
I don't think any TV is going to give the cinema experience. Not that I've been to one in donkey's years mind.

You are probably right Klondike, I don't have the sound of people munching pop corn at home  ;D ;D ;D

GrannyMac

« Reply #114 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:58:07 PM »
far more important, to me, at least, is sound quality and there modern productions often fall down. For me, there is only one Miss Marple - Joan Hickson, and I can understand every word she says - very unusual amongst modern actresses in my experience. On the other hand - I have never watched Geraldine McEwan's offerings, until a few days ago when the opening few minutes offered something really interesting. alas, alack. 'Miss Marple' arrives on the scene and I could scarcely understand a word she said, even though I could understand all the male characters and the few lines uttered by another woman - SWITCH OFF!
Mike 😡

Background music interferes with the sound too.  When I can, I use subtitles and find them a big help.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #115 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »
I think a lot of the problem with films on TV is that they were made for cinema with many audio tracks which are imperfectly combined to produce stereo for broadcast. It is very often the case that the music is too loud in relation to the dialog. I think it was "The Favourite" that I'd downloaded that had a very annoying repetitive "thump" sound throughout. I thought it was a duff download and grabbed another which was the same so I gave up on it.

Setting up a cinema sound system at home is a bit too much of a faff and it probably wouldn't help for a lot of broadcast stuff. I did add a soundbar that has an option to boost and clarify speech which seems to help a bit.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Hugh

« Reply #116 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
Not suffering any problems with films on TV Klondike. I believe the film industry cuts out problems to allow for good quality streaming, and the income they get from it. I have experience films where background music too loud which is very annoying, but I just find something else to watch. Never down loaded any films so cannot comment on problem doing it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #117 on: Jan 21, 2021, 11:03:03 AM »
far more important, to me, at least, is sound quality and there modern productions often fall down. For me, there is only one Miss Marple - Joan Hickson, and I can understand every word she says - very unusual amongst modern actresses in my experience. On the other hand - I have never watched Geraldine McEwan's offerings, until a few days ago when the opening few minutes offered something really interesting. alas, alack. 'Miss Marple' arrives on the scene and I could scarcely understand a word she said, even though I could understand all the male characters and the few lines uttered by another woman - SWITCH OFF!
Mike 😡
For Geraldine McEwan, please read Julia MacKenzie
Mike  :-[ :-[ :-[
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #118 on: Jan 21, 2021, 11:50:51 AM »
Not suffering any problems with films on TV Klondike. I believe the film industry cuts out problems to allow for good quality streaming, and the income they get from it. I have experience films where background music too loud which is very annoying, but I just find something else to watch. Never down loaded any films so cannot comment on problem doing it.

'S funny Hugh..I always watch downloads and have never streamed a film.. ;)

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #119 on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »
For Geraldine McEwan, please read Julia MacKenzie
Mike  :-[ :-[ :-[

Julia MacKenzie is no Miss Marple, who ever cast her in the part? can't take my eyes of her hats! looks like a cross between a Diddy Man and a flower pot.

Joan Hickson is Miss Marple all the way (Agetha Christie endorsed her), she reminds me of my two grandmothers and a few maiden aunts rolled into one, her clothes and hats could have come from my granny's wardrobe, wonderful.