Author Topic: La la land?  (Read 1141 times)

xetog

La la land?
« on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:29:03 PM »
I know that the many "entertainers" were a behind the door when brain cells were handed out, but I caught the end of the Channel 4 news tonight.  A piece about Lennie Henry who has apparently written a book about the lack of diversity on TV.  Apparently, the deficit of non-whites on TV is turning viewers off. 

Really??  I would suggest that since white people currently outnumber non-whites 4:1 in the population the reason for people deserting TV channels, if that is true, is that the proportion represented by the majority is under represented. 

Earlier  this evening I have seen two programmes where the numbers were turned around the opposite way.  What Henry was mainly talking about I think was that he feels all the prizes (that entertainers give to each other) go mainly to those with white skins.  This may be so, I and I would guess the majority of viewers, don't give a damn about these incestuous events, we just want to be informed and entertained.

I think we really are living in La La land.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Jacqueline

Re: CLa la land?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:33:53 PM »
Come on Lenny Henry are you completely colour blind, don't you watch the ads?  You even have your own channel given over to diversity the BBC.

zoony

Re: CLa la land?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »
Come on Lenny Henry are you completely colour blind, don't you watch the ads?  You even have your own channel given over to diversity the BBC.

Lenny Henry has based a long and profitable career on mimicking and mocking racial stereotypes..Or is that okay cos he is black?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

Re: La la land?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:31:45 PM »
The most riciculous example of this new 'black virtue signalling' is seeing the hastily amended TV ads featuring 'cartoon characters'. Even their faces are now are being filled in brown - no kidding. On Bargain Hunt BBC today the Auction now suddenly features two people on the podium, one white, a man with a gavil and a black woman behind a computer, who never does anything and is just social corrected scenery.

Fatuous rubbish , but so comical to see!

Lenny Henry is a typical composition of substandard, BAME neo populism.

Charlie Williams from near Barnsley, who preceded him by two decades was a brilliant and naturally funny man, adored by the British public and without 'mission statements'.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:51:01 PM »
I once saw Charlie Williams on stage he was so funny, and no chip on his shoulder.

biglouis

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2021, 10:38:40 PM »
On Bargain Hunt BBC today the Auction now suddenly features two people on the podium, one white, a man with a gavil and a black woman behind a computer, who never does anything and is just social corrected scenery.

The person behind the computer is watching online bids from people like me. Even before CV-19 about 50% of the bidding had moved to online and can be very fast and furious. The auctioneer cannot be expected to watch the room and the computer screen simultaneously so s/he usually has an assistant.

At present most bidding is online or by phone or commission.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Cassandra

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2021, 10:55:59 PM »
The person behind the computer is watching online bids from people like me. Even before CV-19 about 50% of the bidding had moved to online and can be very fast and furious. The auctioneer cannot be expected to watch the room and the computer screen simultaneously so s/he usually has an assistant.

At present most bidding is online or by phone or commission.

Thank you for the functional update Louis. Dickensons real deal - one of my not to be missed presentations with 'The Duke' that master of adlibs and masterful cliches, has always had these advices seemingly passed to the auctioneer without the presence of a sort of co-pilot on the podium. I suppose this more visually apparent necessity, reflects the increase nowadays of online bidding as you advise.

The snip of Bargainhunt I saw before ejection was far later than The Dukes afternoon matinees from a decade and a half ago as well. And 'Black Lives Matter' as well of course!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2021, 06:20:17 AM »
Dickinson, now he's a colourful chap! Armenian heritage, adopted by an English family in Stockport.  We've enjoyed his Real Deal over the years.

My OH worked for Charlie Williams who opened a nightclub in Barnsley.  It didn't last too long. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

digitalis

« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:40:56 AM »
But Henry does represent London!

My guess is that those in London think London is GB...or should be.

:-\ :-[ :'(

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:47:04 AM »
I dont personally like Dickenson but the antique trade is full of very colourful characters like him. It attracts eccentrics because no particular qualifications are required to be an antiques dealer. Just your knowledge, experience and a gift for salesmanship.

I like Drew Pritchard of Salvage Hunters.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:55:07 AM »
David Dickenson, IMO, one of the most obnoxious prats on television.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:26:54 AM »
Veronica couldn't stand the man, and can't say I am much taken, but to be fair, the total amount of TV time I have spent watching him probably totals no more than ten minutes over the years - the very sight of him provokes a search for the remote!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
 the very sight of him provokes a search for the remote!
Mike

Yeah me too.

digitalis

« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »
Above comments made me chuckle.

I wonder if we gain a bit of a dislike for the man(or woman)through over exposure. Back in his early days, and without him gaining more air time,he might not have developed his current personna: it might have been tamed. Same with other folk...even institutions. If they become too big or too ubiquitous,they seem to get on our nerves and we take a dislike to them. I'm probably speaking from myself. You cant blame the David Beckham for taking another £50k for advertising any-olde-rubbish,but at the same time you do and with each additional advert you become to be sickened by the bloke. Add in some hypocrisy and you have melting time. These days there's lots of spew-time celebrities and shows that make a viewer want to puke: the money for olde rope BBC so-called educational programme presenters are one. I really mustn't blame them. Fortuitously they have become so banal and boring that some younger folke have decided they can do as well by making their own programmes and putting them on You Tube. Now they sell themselves or by products. Everyone's a-selling. It is a big-up for some of the lower-masses as well as a take-down from the milking BBC crowd.

xetog

« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:19:19 AM »
But does Lennie Henry represent London?  When I visit, most seem to be Asian or Arab.  Over 50% of Londoners may be of immigrant stock, but I would suggest those of Afro-Caribbean origin are in a minority.  Anything I seem to watch on TV is filled with those with foreign sounding names.  It matters little whether they from the few who look pretty white to me, few have traditional British names, so are probably of pretty recent immigrant stock.  I can't say that it really bothers me. Us Anglo Saxons did it to the Celts centuries ago and times move on, but I don't see how anyone can say that those of immigrant backgrounds are under represented.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.