Author Topic: La la land?  (Read 1138 times)

Diasi

Re: La la land?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:18:46 AM »
Dickinson, now he's a colourful chap! Armenian heritage, adopted by an English family in Stockport. We've enjoyed his Real Deal over the years.

I like him too, he's overcome quite a bit of adversity in his life.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

digitalis

« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:34:52 AM »
Mike: Agree.

Still,its all so confusing and...comical?

I wonder where its all going? My faith holds that the whiter British(Well,Englishman)is still the totem of all evil(well,in BBC eyes) I think you may be right in that the Afro Caribbean are themselves becoming more of a minority these days. Now we have all manner and all shades of people coming from all over the world. I can still remember(and this might be so today)when the Afro Caribbeans 'hated' the new black Africans that were arriving from down-under. A reason given was the AC had won their rights here,and the new Africans were getting in to take their work and school and new won privelages.

I do see some comedy in it all. I saw what appeared to be a black person chasing down a (collective noun unknown)group of traditional group of Jewish people t'other day. He held a vary large and long cane and was calling them all sorts of wrong names. As a hated white male I was pleased no one from my neglected and trashed minority was involved.

Its all sorta strange. Well,from what I pick up from 'on-the-streets', most of the under represented minority ethnics are now more racist than us evil-white folk for disliking and wanting to discriminate against their own new arrivals. Its all kicking off! The BBC top honchos must be tearing their hair out as to what next to do: surely it was only the 'indigenous' white oiks who were the haters.

I believe the top table BBC have now begun to hate Wales or Cornwall(folk). Too racist?

For my own part I only see ex public Westminster types on the screen. These white. Then we get the shoo-in incest Hampstead connected luvvies. On screen 15% ? The rest seem to be anything but representative of local folk.

sparky

« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:09:22 PM »

Adversity or not, he is still an obnoxious foreigner in my eyes, and being a past mail order crook does not help is image to me.

Cassandra

« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »
David Dickenson, IMO, one of the most obnoxious prats on television.

He's amazingly dreadful and his gunky cohorts too. They drag up some of the most ugly, cretinous people in the country to parade as idiots. The 'cliches' are profuse and oft repeated - i.e. "is that just for one of them?" or "you will tell me when I've put down enough won't you?" and sometimes you get the added bonus of getting to see their their revolting children as well. Best of all is when the greedy baskets go to auction and only get half of what they were offered by a 'gunker' on the day!

Watching this half-burnt, ex con (4 years for fraud) with his puerile attempts at humour whilst I'm going my 'housework' is a not to miss event. Its so bad, it's good. :'( - The Real Deal!
Believe me he's not the only ex crim on the show either. I've seen a few 'old faces' with their 'wares', which makes it so compelling to follow. No doubt past compatriots of 'The Duke'.

Only surpassed by the delightful crud of Derek Baty with 'Mr & Mrs' - so brilliantly passed up by Cooke and Moore as 'Derek & Clive'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMjNidusfDs
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Cassandra

« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:34:20 PM »
I dont personally like Dickenson but the antique trade is full of very colourful characters like him. It attracts eccentrics because no particular qualifications are required to be an antiques dealer. Just your knowledge, experience and a gift for salesmanship.

I like Drew Pritchard of Salvage Hunters.

Hear hear, a very interesting man with depth too, I would summise. A real risk taker too!

digitalis

« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:35:23 PM »
More chuckles brought about by Cassandra's comments.

'So bad it's funny' Good precis of the format and Dickenson. I liked the venom. I dont take the comments at face value...but perhaps I should ;)  A bit of venom never hurt anyone says me! Gets it off the chest. I find being a saint all day can be tiresome! I like a Peter Cooke take down

Cassandra

« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:36:44 PM »
I dont personally like Dickenson but the antique trade is full of very colourful characters like him. It attracts eccentrics because no particular qualifications are required to be an antiques dealer. Just your knowledge, experience and a gift for salesmanship.

I like Drew Pritchard of Salvage Hunters.

Hear hear, a very interesting man with depth, I would summise. A real risk taker and very laid back!

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »

Adversity or not, he is still an obnoxious foreigner in my eyes, and being a past mail order crook does not help is image to me.

He did the crime & served his time & then bounced back & made a decent career for himself.

Give me an Armenian-heritage mail order fraudster over a Pakistani-heritage grooming gang child abuser & rapist any day of the week.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2021, 06:22:00 PM »
Fair enough. But why should we have to put up with either?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2021, 06:56:32 PM »
DD was born here to an Armenian mother, he was adopted by an English family, and his father was most likely English.  Culturally, he's British like so many mixed race people here.  I'm with Diasi on this.

'It's not where you start it's where you finish'!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:06:01 PM »
It’s the fraudster bit
 Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:01:04 PM »

Fair enough. But why should we have to put up with either?

Exactly, a scumbag is a scumbag is a etc etc etc

Cassandra

« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:01:26 PM »
I would imagine old "Tricky Dicky's" got a good sense of humour, I remember Jon Culshaw ringing him as Doctor Who once (Jon Pertwee's version) and asking him where he could get some intergalactic artefact from.

He laughed a lot and said "good luck in your search Doctor, they're right bobbydazzlers those Magnetic Core Extractors."

Greatly admire him for walking away from the patronising BBC aged 65 too - well done.

A clever, hard working man and one who has made the very best of what life dealt him - just such awfully corny and passe scripts etc. Still I'll miss him when he's gone, but there must be several thousand episodes knocking about to see yet ;)