Author Topic: Covid volunteers  (Read 789 times)

Michael Rolls

Covid volunteers
« on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:02:09 PM »
A neighbour collected my papers for me yesterday and I have been ploughing through them. I am appalled at the number of letters from retired medicos who have tried to volunteer to help and are being ignored, fobbed off, or just lost in a sea of bureaucracy.
An NHS spokesperson was saying that they can’t just invent staff. Looks as though they are going about it the wrong way. One of the letters, from a retired surgeon said ‘I am trying to volunteer to give injections. Why do I need to provide evidence that I have attended an awareness course about female genital mutilation?’
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

Re: Covid volunteers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:13:20 PM »
I have seen claims that the woke nonsense has been dropped. I've also seen claims that people have been told the programme is closed and others from HMG saying it is still running.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if this project becomes a complete farce like Track and Trace (is that the name) or the initial hitches get cleared up and it runs smoothly and to target.

Whatever happens my betting is on us being in lockdown at least until Easter.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Cassandra

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2021, 01:16:40 AM »
I have seen claims that the woke nonsense has been dropped. I've also seen claims that people have been told the programme is closed and others from HMG saying it is still running.
I guess we'll find out soon enough if this project becomes a complete farce like Track and Trace (is that the name) or the initial hitches get cleared up and it runs smoothly and to target.
Whatever happens my betting is on us being in lockdown at least until Easter.

Sadly Klon - Woke- rules and will mature into the new norm evidence suggests. Today's world is a fast reactor towards social acceptance by a small council of issue and control of thought. Very dystopian and would you think be a source for concern. Sadly the masses are being harvested young these days, thanks to the innovation of the Smartphone and soon the New Order will have gained seamless control over these 5G zombies.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:15:23 AM »
One of the letters, from a retired surgeon said ‘I am trying to volunteer to give injections. Why do I need to provide evidence that I have attended an awareness course about female genital mutilation?’
Mike

Because that, & being able to prove he accepts deviants, is more important than being able to administer injections.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »
I had another long email from Matt Hancock yesterday telling me, amongst other things, that I would be vaccinated by February 15th. (I'm under 75 but extremely clinically vulnerable) 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
good news, Sheila

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
There only three data points in the easily accessible weekly stats so far. They seem to be managing just over 30,000 a week but now Christmas/New year is out of the way, they get their acts together and the easier to handle AstraZeneca vaccine is now onstream I imagine that will ramp up sharply.

These are the numbers of first injections given by the week ending date they were published
w/e 20 Dec 2020  62,0180
w/e 27 Dec 2020  31,2494
w/e 3   Jan 2021  33,3224

w/e 3 Jan 2021 also reported 21,313 had been given

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »
Hopefully things will speed up - at that rate it would take three years to vaccinate everyone
Mike

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:10:54 PM »
My daughter is booked into Ninewells in Dundee for hers, next Wednesday evening 7ish I think she said.

digitalis

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:59:10 PM »
Read the new S African variant maybe indifferent to new vaccines>.This from DM who is subbing from Grant Shapps: one dipping for clickbait? t'other,well,would you trust your pension with him. Anyways,if either/both are credible,wotnext? Our new virus can replicate itself what? 10,000 times in mutations in a morning,us humans,times 1 in 9 months? Wotchance of we in eradicating this scourge?
I await better education with brighter minds. Still,I am reminded that there's no cure for AIDS yet. 20 pills a day,now reduced to 1 pill a day? Forever?
Its all a bit more concerning that the vaccines dont seem to be eradicating the virus,but stop us from getting pretty ill with it. Thus,I guess it continues on its merry way spreading and mutating around the world until a new mutation makes good to cause us more ill again. Will this mean a new adjusted vaccine will have to be found,then injected,every year. Phew! Cant think this augurs well. The genie is out of the bottle.
Just when I was thinking the news was getting better,new darker clouds gather on the horizon :( >:(

Akbuk

« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:38:43 PM »
Syringe, vial & arm. Is a degree required to bring those three together?
An hours practice on an orange and away you go.

I’m not making little of it but is it so hard to administer?
I’m a real he/him.

digitalis

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:56:38 PM »
No!

The local drug ddicts can show you how to shoot up all over and each way in yer body up here. DIY. They do it every day...admittedly with illegal drugs!

Cee Gee

« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:07:39 PM »
I gave my wife her injections by syringe for ages before she went onto injection pens. Easy peasy.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:15:30 PM »
Why all this bureaucracy? - it’s almost as if the system is trying to fail
Mike

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:16:58 PM »
The local drug ddicts can show you how to shoot up all over and each way in yer body up here. DIY. They do it every day...admittedly with illegal drugs!
It's possible that the NHS is looking for better outcomes...