Author Topic: Derbyshire police.  (Read 5751 times)

Traveller

Derbyshire police.
« on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:50:07 PM »
Having been criticised in the past for using drones to film people out for a walk, it seems that the Derbyshire police are handing out £200 fines like confetti for any made up reason.  Among the more bizarre  charges, were two women who were accused of having a picnic because they were carrying hot drinks!   It appears that rather than 'engaging' with people, the police automatically issue fixed penalty notices if they think a person has travelled outside their 'local area', although this is not defined.

I hope these dubious charges are contested and overturned as the police seem to be too keen to abuse their power.

You'll have had your tea.

zoony

Re: Derbyshire police.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
Police jollies don't pay for themselves y'know! 
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

Re: Derbyshire Police.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »
Having been criticised in the past for using drones to film people out for a walk, it seems that the Derbyshire police are handing out £200 fines like confetti for any made up reason.  Among the more bizarre  charges, were two women who were accused of having a picnic because they were carrying hot drinks!   It appears that rather than 'engaging' with people, the police automatically issue fixed penalty notices if they think a person has travelled outside their 'local area', although this is not defined.

I hope these dubious charges are contested and overturned as the police seem to be too keen to abuse their power.

Funny you should post this as my son lives in Derbyshire & I need him to come & help me to lift the heavy parts of my wife's bed from downstairs back into her bedroom & I'm pondering on whether it would be classed as an essential journey.

I think I'll use the 'support bubble' regulations as I live on my own.

https://bit.ly/3bkuI3a
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
I read that the two women had driven separate cars for five miles to get to a reservoir to go for a walk.  One of them has a relative working in a covid ward so is well aware of precautions to be taken.

Cassandra

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:50:09 PM »
Funny you should post this as my son lives in Derbyshire & I need him to come & help me to lift the heavy parts of my wife's bed from downstairs back into her bedroom & I'm pondering on whether it would be classed as an essential journey.

No, cannot in any way be described as essential. If he were your carer then there's a caveat of relaxation built in. However your geographical variance to each other would logically suggest this being an arrangement to deliberately circumnavigate the emergency regulations, not a pragmatically established logical arrangement to provide practical care for you.

Some Police forces are more motivated than others in their interpretation of these rules it seems.

The Derbyshire example seems to be have been receiving her fair share of shocks it would appear just lately?

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:54:17 PM »
Statement by Derbyshire Gestapo:-

Derbyshire Police said in a statement: "Driving to a location - where exercise could easily have been taken closer to a person's home - is clearly not in the spirit of the national effort to reduce our travel, reduce the possible spread of the disease and reduce the number of deaths.

So, tell me, pray, how does the action taken by the two ladies increase the number of deaths, or for that matter, spread the disease? This is totally and utterly out of order - and how come there were numerous police gathered at the spot - looks like they were simply seeking a chance to do what they did.
Interestingly, one of the ladies said they they drove to where they did knowing that it would be less crowded than nearer places.
Oh, and how do the police know that exercise could easily have been taken nearer home? Total abuse of power

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:57:51 PM »
Oh, and a hot drink is a picnic? Not where I come from
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2021, 06:00:23 PM »
Oh, and another snippet

>>>During the first lockdown, the force was criticised for releasing drone footage of people walking in the Peak District

Speaking at the time, Lord Sumption - a former Supreme Court judge - said it was "disgraceful" and "shamed our policing traditions".<<
Glad to see I am not alone in my view of the Derbyshire Police
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2021, 06:17:33 PM »
I read that the two women had driven separate cars for five miles to get to a reservoir to go for a walk.  One of them has a relative working in a covid ward so is well aware of precautions to be taken.

In my 'view' they are not breaking current regulations. Five miles to visit an open area to meet someone from a separate household where the parties did not share passport as long as they maintained social distancing is permissible, they might for example live in an area where the 'reservoir' is the closest open space anyway? These regs are vague, for example the length of time you can spend outside has not been specified, neither have specific distances from your home been stipulated. They could quite legally have journeyed there in a taxi as well, providing they were 'covid free'? Whilst some, interpret these ladies actions as foolhardy - it would also seem mindful to consider that some will sadly be driven to suicide by the denial to a sensible break from what could be increasingly stressful domestic circumstances. I fully intend to drive into the woods, about 4 miles from here in the next few days with my little dogs and would welcome 'Plod' challenging my right so to do.

The media are just now bathing in a frenzy of 'watch your neighbour' etc etc.

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
Oh, and another snippet

>>>During the first lockdown, the force was criticised for releasing drone footage of people walking in the Peak District

Speaking at the time, Lord Sumption - a former Supreme Court judge - said it was "disgraceful" and "shamed our policing traditions".<<
Glad to see I am not alone in my view of the Derbyshire Police
Mike

The lady in question has only had the job of 'Chief Constable' since August and is already getting a reputation for being a bit 'spiky' and has some very amusing nicknames inside her 'tight knit' force.

Perhaps she's jealous of her predecessor's actions during the first lockdown where he had a small lake dyed black!

You couldn't script this rubbish better ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2021, 06:50:26 PM »
A year ago, had anyone claimed something like this could possibly have happened in this country, I would have assumed they were confusing Great Britain with North Korea.
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2021, 06:51:14 PM »
No, cannot in any way be described as essential.

I think we'll use the support bubble regulations that don't seem to have a geographical variance condition attached to them, all it says is that local is best but not that it has to be local.

I'm in the qualifying criteria by virtue of living alone, plus I'm in the vulnerable age group & don't have anyone local.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »
I think we'll use the support bubble regulations that don't seem to have a geographical variance condition attached to them, all it says is that local is best but not that it has to be local.

I'm in the qualifying criteria by virtue of living alone, plus I'm in the vulnerable age group & don't have anyone local.

The 'guidance' is:-

“However, if you form a support bubble, it is best if this is with a household who live locally. This will help prevent the virus spreading from an area where more people are infected.”

You'd think reasonably opaque to preclude 'Plod' pushing his luck by pressing charges or imposing fixed penalties on the ethicacy of a 'bubble' from your foundation of recent trauma. The back up statute is such a peppered strainer few would be as bone headed to persist. As 'Derbyshire Constabulary' is involved and the venerable Swann administering the law, they may try to nick you. In your position however being happy and getting things straight around you is of primal importance. I would 'register' your social bubble or whatever one does to establish such an entity these days - swear an affadavit on zoom for example maybe and get on with it?

Jacqueline

« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:45:57 PM »
Our nearest young relatives live 200 miles away, we have nobody at all near us who is not in our age group with health problems, so no support bubbles for us.

What does that stupid woman think she looks like? more like a Punk than a top Police person, hardly commands any respect.  Once upon a time the Police had smart uniforms, neat hair styles, something else down the swannee.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:09:22 PM »
I did wonder if she had been Photoshopped
Mike