Author Topic: How long is a day at the North and South Pole ?  (Read 540 times)

granny moss

How long is a day at the North and South Pole ?
« on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:55:13 AM »
The Meridians at the poles all converge to the one point....At the Equator, because of the cricumference of planet Earth, the Meridians middles are further apart.....Are the days at the Equator longer ? ??? :D :D :D

Are there 24 Meridians ?   The sun matter is espanding......we are slowly enveloped by the heat from it.....as the Planet orbits round it.....Is that some of the causes of the increase in the warming of it ?
Thoughts tike these keep me awake... ::) :'( ...gmx

crabbyob

Re: How long is a day at the North and South Pole ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
nice to hear from you dearie.. ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »
The poles both have the same 24 hr days in polar summer and 24 hr nights in winter nonna.. That's about as much as I know.. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 01:11:31 PM »
At the Equator they have 12 hours night and 12 hrs day.......At the poles....6 months night and six months day....NASA.....gmx :D

Cassandra

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »
At the Equator they have 12 hours night and 12 hrs day.......At the poles....6 months night and six months day....NASA.....gmx :D

Thanks Granny, never really thought about it, although I once went to Alaska for a week (never again) following the Exxon Valdez tragedy and it was as you say almost permanent day and very difficult to adjust too.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »
My last project at work was in the north of Finland.  It was interesting to find that the change of  seasons were quite distinct.  We arrived there at the tail end of winter with the place still covered with snow.  Then one weekend, the city parks and paths were swept clear of the remaining snow and a small army of men planted thousands of flower plants.   Suddenly it was spring.

The transition to summer was not so distinct, but was celebrated all the same.  Summer brought almost 24 hour daylight with sports such as midnight golf, boat races, wife carrying races (first prise is wife's weight in beer) and 'air guitar' playing (first prize - a real guitar).

While I found sleeping difficult with 24 hour daylight, the locals said that they found the UK strange with it getting dark even in summer.
You'll have had your tea.