Author Topic: Thought for the day...  (Read 522 times)

Alex22

Thought for the day...
« on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »

Michael Rolls

Re: Thought for the day...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:14:14 PM »
Sadly, so true. I do think to myself, when in maudlin mode, when I am gone, who will remember even a small proportion of what I have gleaned over the years?
It is so sad
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:20:47 PM »
I think more on a personal level, that now my parents and aunts and uncles have all gone, who do I ask about things that happened when I was little ?  There's no-one left to ask.

Cassandra

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:25:15 PM »
Sadly, so true. I do think to myself, when in maudlin mode, when I am gone, who will remember even a small proportion of what I have gleaned over the years?
It is so sad
Mike

I think we die three times, once when we physically just stop, secondly at the time of funeral and thirdly when some one mentions our names for the very last time ...
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:28:00 PM »
That’s how I see things. Time and again, a vague memory surfaces and I realise that there is nobody left with whom I can check. Must say, I find it terribly hard
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »
I think we die three times, once when we physically just stop, secondly at the time of funeral and thirdly when some one mentions our names for the very last time ...
Think is, we wouldn’t know, to be honest, I find it impossible to understand the concept of which I am not a part. I just have to accept that one day it will happen, so as a result I am going to have an additional glass of wine than intended m even two
Mike

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:32:46 PM »
Perhaps we overrate our importance in the scheme of things?.. Memories precious to us will die with us unless preserved so it's up to us to do that or not. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:34:06 PM »
That’s how I see things. Time and again, a vague memory surfaces and I realise that there is nobody left with whom I can check. Must say, I find it terribly hard
Mike

Sometimes you never know the value of something, until it becomes a memory?
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
We are important, but only to ourselves and loved ones, plus a few close friends. Over and above that, unless we are Hitler, Stalin. Wellington, Gandhi, Mendela, etc., Otherwise, we don’t really count at all
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:40:00 PM »
I have written my Life story. It is printed, and people that have read it, have laughed and cried.  It is also kept in a memory stick....It took me four years,  I feel now at peace.  Anyone can do it.  Now I am painting a Journal....and so I will leave something of me, when I am gone. Also I leave  my children and grand children....gmx

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:01:46 PM »
Same here as I'm close to oldest left in my extended family. What did my grandfather get up to as a professional soldier in India? How did he survive 10 years with no work during the great depression with a wife and child (my father) to support? I'll never know these things in any detail now just the odd anecdote that came out when he was alive. Same with my father's war time stories - some I know but not 5 years worth. As a boomer I think we have had fewer hardships - at least I have.
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:49:43 PM »
Me too. My father grew up in a professional family, grandfather was a pharmacist. Private school, then university was his future. So why did he leave the family home, and get a job to support his mother, and why did she leave his father? She was the daughter of an Irish doctor, she and her sister ended up in Scotland, but there is little trace of the family in Dublin.  I met my grandfather once when I was very small, then he died. I've never met a another relative of my father's.   My dad also served throughout WWII, I found some details of his service in France, but he never spoke of it.  He died when I was a teenager.

I'll never know. 😢
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:57:04 PM »
I would never know about my grandfathers experiences as a diplomat in the old empire in India and the middle east except through the tales my grandmother told me about that forgotten world of privilege and splendour. Now she is gone there is no one to tell the tales.

I will never know what caused my mother to desert the class she was born into to elope with a working class man. She would never speak of it except that she loved him.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:40:08 AM »
If it was sufficient reason for her... Sounds very romantic and I hope they found the happiness they wished for together.. I suspect not.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »
I grew up thinking all marriages were like my parents'. I never heard an argument, there were no financial issues,  my dad was the breadwinner, my mum was a housewife, a good cook, dressmaker etc.  But in reality, I think few are actually like that. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais