Author Topic: proper cats  (Read 728 times)

crabbyob

proper cats
« on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »
Image may contain: cat, outdoor and nature
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

Re: proper cats
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:51:46 PM »
Do you have any pictures of improper cats?
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »
not really madam.. ;D
but these are Scottish Wild Cats
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:52:20 AM »
Easily recognisable. I believe I saw one when we had only been up here a couple of years just making its way into a wooded area about six miles away. I may have been mistaken, as I think we are a bit south and a bit open for them, but the coat looked right, and tail was heavier than that of your average moggie
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »
i think bracken is their friend Mike so you might have plenty of that near you
i saw one when carrying a rifle for her maj. i know not where..

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:56:22 AM »
That area - haven’t been that way in ages - did have a fair cover
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:00:54 PM »
Beautiful creatures and obviously related to tabbies. They have a "M" on their heads. Notice how the stripes on their legs are symmetrical and match up! There are some interesting articles on the patterning of cat's fur.

When they are in the womb the patterning begins to spread along the back and thence downwards. Cats with white paws, bibs or bellies are showing a genetic fault whereby the pattern has not fully developed. This is particularly true of ginger cats which are rarely fully ginger.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:34:23 PM »
Beautiful creatures and obviously related to tabbies. They have a "M" on their heads. Notice how the stripes on their legs are symmetrical and match up! There are some interesting articles on the patterning of cat's fur.

When they are in the womb the patterning begins to spread along the back and thence downwards. Cats with white paws, bibs or bellies are showing a genetic fault whereby the pattern has not fully developed. This is particularly true of ginger cats which are rarely fully ginger.
Also, the vast majority of ginger cats are male. Personally, I have never seen a ginger female
Mike

Cee Gee

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:58:53 PM »
Also, the vast majority of ginger cats are male. Personally, I have never seen a ginger female
Mike

Mike we had a ginger female aptley named Hobit, if I can find it I will scan her picture and post it. :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:59:35 PM »
Please
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:17:41 PM »
Mike is correct - the majority of ginger cats are male - again its caused by the male/female chromasomes. The “ginger gene” which produces the orange color is on the X chromosome. Females have two X chromosomes and so need two copies of this gene to become ginger, whereas males need only one. There are some females but definitely in a minority.

There is a beautiful ginger cat on the internet called Phineas. He has a huge Instagram following:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4fJmNrs_4

He has a brain condition which makes his limbs wobbly but a lovely looking creature with two ginger companions.

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:22:55 PM »
They are similar to the 'Maine Coons' a friend of wife's used to breed. They scared the life out me, seriously big (20lb is not uncommon and their not fat) very feral looking, but so striking at the same time. We 'looked' after two once when their owners were on holiday and stayed at their beautiful barn conversion in the Cotswolds for a two weeks. First night they came into the bedroom purring, like a pair of outboard motors. We instantly discovered they loved people and were really giant lapcats. When we went for a walk round the village they'd come too and the grimaces they gave any dog silly enough to give them a second look were unbelievable.

Love cats ...
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:26:07 PM »
Lovely! First wife and I had a ginger and white tom who scared the life out of the Alsatian across the road
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:27:51 PM »
Mike is correct - the majority of ginger cats are male - again its something to do with the male/female genes. There are some females but definitely in a minority.

There is a beautiful ginger cat on the internet called Phineas. He has a huge Instagram following:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4fJmNrs_4

He has a brain condition which makes his limbs wobbly but a lovely looking creature with two ginger companions.

What a lovely chap - a really good friend I'll bet!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:59:04 PM »
Maine Coons look like wonderful cats, They are reputed to be very intelligent and friendly so make good pets. Apparently they trill and chirp rather than meowing.