Author Topic: Scottish exercise advice  (Read 823 times)

Michael Rolls

Scottish exercise advice
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 04:34:58 AM »
Picked this up from the BBC News website this morning. It seems to be a bit different to what the Scottish government had previously advised to stay within the are of your local authority (other for essential travel):-

In Scotland, the advice is more precise, saying exercise can be taken if it "starts and finishes at the same place, which can be up to five miles from the boundary of your local authority area".

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55620138

As I read that, - not that I either intend nor need to - I could drive up to five miles beyond the P&K boundary to exercise. Should make life easier for those living in urban areas without suitable recreational areas to hand
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Traveller

Re: Scottish exercise advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:51:18 AM »
Exercise is not time limited either, but given the current weather, I wouldn't want to spend much time outdoors.
Aberdeenshire is a large local authority, so theoretically I could spend a day out walking in the hills as long as I observed the rules on mixing and social distance.

It's not that I haven't plenty of local walking opportunities - it's just that I get bored doing the same ones all the time.
You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:00:05 AM »
Nowadays I only walk in the park for exercise. Before she became disabled, Veronica and I used to love walking in the hills, one of the reasons we moved up here. Until the restrictions were imposed I would drive out into the hills at least once a week,  but no longer walked in them. Without Veronica it just wouldn’t be the same.
Hopefully, one day I will be able to do it again. Like Aberdeenshire, P&K is pretty big, in area as big as Surrey and both Sussexes combined,, although rather fewer people!
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
The police need to remember that there are people trapped in tiny flats on shi**y council estates. They are as much entitled to a change of scene and fresh air as those who live in Ashby de la Zouche.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:33:45 AM »
Hear, hear
Mike

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »
In Scotland, the advice is more precise, saying exercise can be taken if it "starts and finishes at the same place, which can be up to five miles from the boundary of your local authority area".
Precise indeed. Presumably the virus is equipped with maps so it knows when it can start getting up to its dirty work. Bit like the only place in most shops that it is infectious is the checkout lines where 2m distancing is strictly enforced while an obstacle course is set up in the aisles with additional merchandise and abandoned shelf stacking cages so some folks end up brushing past each other to get round.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:09:25 PM »
The virus is omnipresent. It’s up to us to dodge the thing
Mike

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:46:43 PM »
Ah that must be the Stay Alert thing. I'll put me specs on and watch out for it. From the pics on TV it should be easy enough to identify what with being red and spiky.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:31:01 PM »
I suppose I could always hide behind the settee, but it’s a bit heavy to lug outside
Mike

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:58:01 PM »
It's bad enough that Adolf Sturgeon is ruining the economy with her increasingly desperate lockdown rules, but banning one of our favourite forms of recreation ie. drinking alcohol outdoors, is really going a step too far.
I wonder how many  "Rab C Nesbitt" characters will be switching to Irn Bru (with perhaps a hint of vodka)?

Another somewhat dubious rule is that you can't use an "essential" reason to do something "non essential".  Not sure exactly what that means...  presumably you can't go for a coffee after food shopping.   However, I notice now that taking your car for service, repair or MoT is a valid reason to  leave your home.

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:21:45 PM »
They followed Ferguson, Whitty, Valance et. al. and decided to shaft the economy, most businesses, plus condemn more suffering heart disease, cancer and doubtless other diseases to early deaths while they concentrated on Covid and now they find that despite all the restrictions on civil liberties they still haven't beaten the virus.

Rather than examine what alternatives there may be to a failed approach they are blaming the population for that failure and doubling down with ever more draconian measures and penalties. Somebody had an appropriate quote for that - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:28:39 PM »
So true
Mike

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
Wasn't that Einstein?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:38:24 PM »
Can’t remember for sure,  but may well have been
Mike

Traveller

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:41:40 PM »
I wonder how long it will take for Wee Jimmy to run out of crocodile tears?