Author Topic: Brexit - the pettiness starts  (Read 3254 times)

Michael Rolls

Brexit - the pettiness starts
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 05:13:27 AM »
Apparently Dutch border officials have confiscated a UK lorry drivers ham sandwiches because the EU won't allow the import of meat from the UK. I suppose we can expect a lot more of the same in the days ahead
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

digitalis

Re: Brexit - the pettiness starts
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:50:29 AM »
I read it. I think,later,the Dutch officials will feel ashamed. When you think of all the British troops laying in their graves over there. I think the officials mums and dads(if still alive)wouldnt want their sons or daughters to behave in this way. Maybe its just a few officials. I dont think the Dutch would go along with this if they knew about it. Then,some of the locals have misgivings about the EU. We all have to be careful here as the papers can whip up all manner tripe to excite the crowds to herd us down to the agenda they require.

Not good tho. Silly. Embarrassing. 

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »
more than silly, outright stupidity
the Dutch might just consider how big a customer we are
and again i remind our agriculture ministry of just how easy it is to grow salads instead of importing them
we can start right now in the fens and rural Norfolk, or even in the northeast
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
And who really needs bloody tulips?
 Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:14:58 PM »
Or clogs..
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:16:14 PM »
Im registered to bid on a German online auction so I rang them to ask of there was any problem in posting anything I won to the UK. I offered them an address in the EU as an alternative. They said the one in Vienna would be "simpler" and it would then be my responsibility to do the customs declaration for the UK.

I set this address up over 3 years ago forseeing possible problems when importing from the EU. Been attaching customs forms to the few EU packages i send for over a year now so no difference there.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
Im registered to bid on a German online auction so I rang them to ask of there was any problem in posting anything I won to the UK. I offered them an address in the EU as an alternative. They said the one in Vienna would be "simpler" and it would then be my responsibility to do the customs declaration for the UK.

I set this address up over 3 years ago forseeing possible problems when importing from the EU. Been attaching customs forms to the few EU packages i send for over a year now so no difference there.
Good thinking
Mike

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:16:46 PM »
Apparently Dutch border officials have confiscated a UK lorry drivers ham sandwiches because the EU won't allow the import of meat from the UK. I suppose we can expect a lot more of the same in the days ahead
Mike

It was well publicized that that would be the case once we were out. He's a professional driver and should've known that. No sympathy.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:26:49 PM »

It was well publicized that that would be the case once we were out. He's a professional driver and should've known that. No sympathy.

I agree, so long as we do the same with the Johnny Foreigners.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

prestbury

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:16:57 PM »
Was not many years ago when we used to have to eat the butties etc., on the ferry when going over to France, all meat and dairy products were banned and we had already been in the EU for 30 years. I believe the ban was lifted around 2009 and was originally in place EU wide because of the Foot & Mouth epedemic across Europe. Don't know what the fuss is about.

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:47:27 PM »
Like I said yesterday in another thread.......They're pi***d at us for leaving and will try to pay us back. Pettiness will out.

Hugh

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2021, 04:23:31 PM »
Now we are free of EU restrictions farmers will be able to full fill most of our needs. Any thing grown in Holland can be grown in UK along with many other farming products.

Bumblyari

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
Suggest they take fish paste sandwiches next time, just to rub it in.
Nostalgia - dreaming of it being like it was when you dreamt of it being like it is now

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:44:20 PM »
Suggest they take fish paste sandwiches next time, just to rub it in.

Lol,  ;D ;D ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »
It took a few seconds but it sank in
So long and thanks for all the fish