Author Topic: Brexit - the pettiness starts  (Read 3250 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Brexit - the pettiness starts
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
mike if you eat salad then a high percentage of what you eat will be Dutch
Very seldom eat salad now. Ever since the virus hit, I have virtually only eaten cooked food.

I checked the filling station. Woe is me! It is Shell! Problem is, it’s the only one I can use at the moment. It is two miles away. The next nearest is seven miles, but more importantly, it is always busy, whereas with the local one, I only use it when there is nobody else at the pumps
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

em

« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:25:39 PM »
A few years ago I was dutifully munching my salad (which I have never enjoyed) when I had a eureka moment.I have not touched the stuff since.But I do like tomatoes.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »
Personally, can’t stand them, but other folks, other choices
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
Forgive me, I meant our faithful, antipodean brethren..My humorous irony was weak..

Yes especially those with the big baggy hats of green, who have been known to be rather good from time to time ;)
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:43:08 PM »
Well, it can’t all be bad from our point of view
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:50:31 PM »
A few years ago I was dutifully munching my salad (which I have never enjoyed) when I had a eureka moment.I have not touched the stuff since.But I do like tomatoes.

I have an image of you 'munching' now em. :) I love salads (my mother's favourite) but consume them sporadically as I forget to order the contents and for reasons of age I suppose relate to them as a summer line?

Cassandra

« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »
Well, it can’t all be bad from our point of view
Mike

Still say 'Smithy' is one of the best we'll ever see ;)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:12:19 PM »
He really is pretty good!
Mike

Hugh

« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:36:59 PM »
Scottish Fishermen are having problems with EU red tape, and some are now landing their fish in Denmark.( said on PMQs ). Which is taking work away from land based fishing industry workers. The amount of fish we import from the EU we should now be using home markets where possible.   

klondike

« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:43:42 PM »
Businesses will do whatever is most profitable.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Hugh

« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:31:19 PM »
Therefore, if Scottish fishing boats were to land their catch in Denmark more frequently, it would have a number of knock-on-effects. two of those would be the impact on processors and hauliers.    

A problem the SNP will have to sort out if it goes on.  

crabbyob

« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »
and the fishermen who lost £40,000 because of red tape, i dont suppose they considered selling them in this country, might that drive the price of the stuff they do sell here... if so whats gonna happen when they catch higher quotas?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Hugh

« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:51:37 PM »
Just read one article that French traders are also very up set that they are not getting their Scottish fish.

Just hope the red tape gets sorted out soon.

prestbury

« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:57:35 PM »
and the fishermen who lost £40,000 because of red tape, i dont suppose they considered selling them in this country, might that drive the price of the stuff they do sell here... if so whats gonna happen when they catch higher quotas?

I think one of the problems is that we are fussy about the type of fish/crustaceans that we eat whereas our continental cousins devour anything fishy. Our big catches that we use are generally cod (from Norway) and Haddock. The Scottish Fisheries main catches are Salmon and Langoustines of which the continentals cannot get enough of. The South West coast boats generally fish for Hake, Monkfish, Lobsters and Crabs. They also get a lot of Dogfish (Rock Salmon) of which there is little market for in the UK, so they generally throw them back.

It is ironic that currently there are severe delays with fish products going over to Europe with all the post Brexit paperwork yet the French wholesalers and fish processing plants are kicking off with their own government because they cannot get the products they sell and consequently are losing 1000's of pounds.

Marshal

« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:00:12 AM »
For what it's worth, all nations have rules like this about bringing in food. I remember being pulled aside as I entered the US a while ago because a sniffer dog found an apple in my hand luggage. This is about bio-security and it's taken very seriously by customs at all international borders and our own rules are quite clear; you can not bring in meat or meat products into the UK without checks and paperwork proving it is safe, that includes personal items. Checking around it looks like our current rules still allow people arriving from the EU with EU products to bring this stuff in - I guess that's part of Boris's deal, but the EU has a right to protect its borders just as we protect ours and they are only applying the rules to us that they apply to all third countries.