Author Topic: coronavirus and growing your own .  (Read 351 times)

Alfred

coronavirus and growing your own .
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:22:02 AM »
Although supermarkets are assuring us not  to over buy when shopping , could say a return of growing your own food (ie) tomatoes, onion's and other small vegetables take off ,

simply to have fresh unhandled food, some fruit sold loose in supermarkets  even rolls and cakes also sold in some supermarkets are being handled rather than tongs being used,  which could spread the coronavirus menace.

Q; So would you grow your own where or if  possible ,

biglouis

Re: coronavirus and growing your own .
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
Not an option as I dont do my own garden.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »
too much fuss and bother - added to which, I only have to look at vegetation (with the exception of weeds) for it to curl up and die
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »
too much fuss and bother - added to which, I only have to look at vegetation (with the exception of weeds) for it to curl up and die
Mike

The wild  bunnies  would come in and eat it all, it's an awful lot of bother, much the same as you Mike, could win prizes for my weeds.

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:18:17 AM »
Yes I already do that. I call it my Kitchen Garden, I remember my Nana used to have one and it was one of my jobs to help her.

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:23:59 AM »
Ah yes. It seems like me you have brown fingers  ;D
I did learn to tell the difference between plants and weeds though.
If you pull something up and it comes out clean as a whistle with no chance of regrowth then that was a plant.
If it breaks off leaving some root in so it regrows within days that that is a weed.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Sheila

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
We had a fantastic crop of tomatoes last summer and I hadn't planted any seeds.  They just grew from seeds that had dropped into the soil the previous year.  I expect the same will happen this year and I just move them to a more suitable spot.

I grew a pot of peas one year and when they were ripe our grandchildren were busy for ages, picking and eating them raw.

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:52:13 AM »
We've always done that.  When this village was founded in the 1700's, the houses all had a plot of approx 1/5 acre for the purpose of growing food and maybe keeping a chicken or two.  Of course things have changed and a lot of the older houses have gone, but we still have an early 1800's house and a good garden.  Mts.T is the real gardener - I mainly just do the spade work.

Each year we grow a variety of fruit and veges, outdoor or in the polytunnel.   Generally we will grow leeks, garlic, kale, sprouts, chard, potatoes, parsley and celery outdoors.  Tomatoes, courgettes, marrows and herbs in the polytunnel.  We also have apple and crab apple trees, rhubarb, strawberries, gooseberry and black currants.

We make loads of jams, pickles and chutneys, so we're partly self sufficient - but it's a lot of hard work! 

Too many modern houses don't have a proper graden, and of course, some people live in flats / apartments.  However, I would recommend that even if you only had a window box or a balcony, to grow fresh herbs in pots to use for seasoning.
You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »
Traveller
If I was wearing it at the moment,   I would take my hat off to you.  
Can’t help but feel that the country probably needs more like your good lady and yourself, and fewer idle slobs like me
Mike

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »
Thanks Mike, but I doubt if you're really an idle slob.   
Both my and Mrs.T's fathers grew their own vegetables.  Mrs. T's dad had a nice garden round the house and mine had an allotment.  At one time, my father was given two large greenhouse frames.  These were old iron frames which he stripped down and painted. Then by chance, he obtained a consignment of glass that had been damaged and was written off.  Being a glazier to trade, he set about cutting the glass to size and ended up with two 24 x 10 feet greenhouses.  He grew large quantities of tomatoes and salad greens in the summer and
flowers for Christmas which he gave to friends and neighbours.
One less successful venture was his grape vine which trailed from one end of a greenhouse to the other.  He had visions of making his own wine, but that failed.  He did make loads of fruit wines and some were actually drinkable.

Gardening is to an extent 'in our blood' although it was never intended to be self sufficient.  You need to grow a lot of things through the year and for most people that's not practical.  One consequence of our gardening is that things like travelling and holidays are to a degree dependent on the growing seasons.  Mrs. T has been ordering up seeds for this years crops and when the weather improves, we'll start to get the garden in order.  This usually allows us time to have a trip abroad around March, but we don't have any real holidays till Autumn.

I would also add that it doesn't always make economic sense, but you can have fruit and vegetables that have real taste, and also grow some things that you can't buy in supermarkets.
You'll have had your tea.

Sheila

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:06:12 PM »
When we had an allotment, we had two fabulous asparagus beds.  Paul dug some soil out, put manure down and replaced the soil.

I grew a packet of seeds and I think every one grew.  We had to wait for about three years but it was well worth it.

We would go to the allotment early in the morning, do some work and then pick anything that was ready.  We’d wash everything, chop it up, add olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then put it in the oven.  After our showers, we’d add garlic bread to the oven and have a delicious lunch.