Author Topic: Statistics about non provision in the NHS  (Read 429 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Statistics about non provision in the NHS
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:58:27 AM »
Itís not shroud waving when virtually every winter routine operations are deferred, OPDs cancelled, it is lack of capacity. I worked in the NHS from 1974-1994 and it was true even back then. The problem, despite all the changes and improvements you cite, is that the politicians like to see low costs and the short-term savings from inadequate capacity at times of peak demand ignores the long-term implications. The position has, of course, been exacerbated by covid-19.
The NHS has been reducing bed numbers for as long as I can remember; a full hospital is an accountantís dream, a medicís nightmare.
Also, donít forget the effect on service demand of an increasing, and increasingly aged, population. In 1974 there 4.9 million UK residents over 75. The figure is now close to 8 million. The greatest quantitative demand on the NHS is posed by the elderly, but sheer numbers also affect demand. The UK population in 1974 was 56.23 million. In 2020 it was 67.87 million Ė and it is still rising.
The older I get, the better I was!

digitalis

« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:08:01 AM »
Such contributions and discussions as above so well sourced and spoken. All,well done. Maybe the new tv channel hosted by Andrew Neil might have on such a good debate. There are lots 'out there' with much experience and decent argument to recruit to inform a hungry audience rather than shotgun Eastenders. Eastenders has a place,but surely we could make a place to some alternative debate. Alas,cant cite special names or programmes,but didnt we once have Ludovic Kennedy  and others discussing prominent matters in a studio with some 4- 8 invited guests. A Brian Walden(?) type of chair might be interesting. A one hour programme.
To those above who took their time to cite the findings above to  make the comments: thanks. There's some work there.
Informative. Shows focus. Respect

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
The big rise in life expectancy since the introduction of the NHS must suggest that they're doing something right?  Nursing back then was often looking after a patient in bed for lengthy periods, whereas now we have advanced into real cures.

My father, heart attack, death in his fifties.  My husband, heart attack, open heart surgery, medication, and 25 years on he's still here and reasonably healthy.  Many of us will be proof of how medicine has progressed over the years, IMO.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:13:41 AM »
Very true. My father died of cancer in 1952 after being bedridden for two years. I often wonder if had contracted the disease say twenty years later - he was only 49 when he died - how things might have been better for him
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:15:36 AM »
Oh, and there is a real chance than the increase in life expectancy may plateau in the next 20 years or so as the burgeoning tide of obesity takes its toll
Mike

klondike

« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »
This gives some information on how the NHS compares with health provision elsewhere.
https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/HEAJ6319-How-good-is-the-NHS-180625-WEB.pdf
Seems to be a bit of a curate's egg.

I don't doubt there will be waste because there is in all big organisations.
I don't doubt that there are cоck ups because there are in all big organisations.
One thing mentioned is that money spent and care provision are both lower than some other countries.
I fear a lot of the money spent disappears into agencies providing temporary staff and PFI schemes too.

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »
But did say getting out is becoming more like running the gauntlet nightly! As the crowds who have been turned away through not being relevant and therefore entitled get a bit ugly.

That sounds quite scary and would probably be quite intimidating to some older people who (like me) did not arrive in cars or had no one with them. Someone should have called the police. That makes me all the more determined that they are going to have to give me the vaccine at home. Ive not heard anything yet about how they are managing that or getting to people in care homes.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:50:54 AM »
If you look at the points page, I think you will agree it largely bears out what I posted above, although it makes no mention of the political pressures
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:37:17 PM »

That sounds quite scary and would probably be quite intimidating to some older people who (like me) did not arrive in cars or had no one with them. Someone should have called the police. That makes me all the more determined that they are going to have to give me the vaccine at home. Ive not heard anything yet about how they are managing that or getting to people in care homes.

Walking around the edge of this crowd to reach the doors as I detailed, recalled past experiences leaving courts, post sentencing and watching the crowd awaiting a convicted child murderer or rapist etc to leave in the armoured van along with the camera men, holding flashing cameras up to darkened glass windows.

Somehow the air is charged with a raw intensity of expectancy and one feels pent up anger and frustration, ready to discharge into herded conflagration and violence.

Last night was redolent of those days and I realised that not for twenty odd years had I experienced same.

Emotions and expectations are running high at present and the Vaccine's should allay some of the fears promoting them. There are clearly many who resent the older generation having priority as one obdurate opportunist was loudly exclaiming to his audience around him. Social distancing at this point partly collapsed.

I take my hat off to the 'volunteers' last night - wonderful people who deserve our thanks.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:38:19 PM »
Absolutely
Mike

Raven

« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:39:35 PM »
I don't understand :-\  Why are there people waiting in line? Up here your given an appointment like you were Cass, and only people with appointments are seen. ???

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:53:35 PM »
We are given appointments here as well Raven, but some people with appointments don't turn up. Rather than see the vaccinations go to waste, they are given at the end of the day to anyone who queues up.  It was being discussed on TV yesterday.   

Perhaps extra security is needed given Cassandra's experience. 

Raven

« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:55:46 PM »
Oh right GM thanks. Not heard of anything like that here...

digitalis

« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:09:25 PM »
Wife tells me that Van Tam man is giving out vaccine jabs himself come evening. I salute you,sir.

That's leading from the front,over and above the call of duty.

I also heard (name eludes me now)that BBC science(?)reporter give an apology to BA cabin crew who inadvertently 'dissed' as only being 'trolley dollies' when they enlightened him what other work they did and were trained in. He came out straightaways and said he apologized. He said it with such sincerity and owning his own ignorance that I felt deeply moved by it. It was so nice to see someone own their own ignorance. Respect.

Got him: Fergus Walsh.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:10:52 PM »
Unless there is some emergency involved, the thought of not turning up for such an appointment begars belief
Mike