Author Topic: Speak French!!!  (Read 917 times)

klondike

Speak French!!!
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
I found this amusing. We may have departed the EU now but it seems that the English language hasn't. Our Gallic friends and partners seem to have the hump that English remains the EU lingua franca (Isn't that Latin? Didn't the Romans bugger off from here nearly 2 millenia (more sodding Latin?) ago). Nice to know that we can still cause upset amongst those on the mainland who will (eventually) have to provide the funding for their little club from their own taxpayers.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1383045/Brexit-news-France-UK-EU-English-language-EU-Clement-Beaune-latest?utm_source=express_newsletter&utm_campaign=politics_newsletter2&utm_medium=email
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

Re: Speak French!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »
I speak good and fluent French (so I am told by business associates) but the people in Paris are some of the rudest and most unpleasant people on the planet, will wilfully pretend that they do not understand. Even French people outside Paris admit this. In any other country I have visited attempts to speak the language (even if only please, thank you and good day) will get you some Brownie points but not in France. They are very protective of their language.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:03:34 PM »
Apologising to the lady owner of the small town restaurant in which we were dining for my poor French, I was treated to a beaming smile and the response ‘At least you are not from Paris!’
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:02:36 PM »
The fictional writings of Bernard Cornwell go some way towards explaining the historical relationship between ourselves and our friends and current allies the French.

There are a group of stories from the middle ages where the French speaking English nobles waged war upon the French nobles in France as they felt they should have the crown of France. They tell of the successful English use of long bows against armoured men at arms and knights who when mounted were slaughtered as their horses were panicked and killed by English arrows followed by the remaining French participants. One notable battle from this time was Agincourt where the English were the victors.

Later stories are mostly of the Peninsular War featuring a common soldier named Sharpe where the English favour lines of muskets or occasionally squares when the opponents are mounted while the French use cavalry and columns of musketmen. In these the English lines of muskets  triumph with the final battle being Waterloo ten years on from the drubbing the French got at the naval battle of Trafalgar with a series of lesser known scraps in between.

With such shared history there is little wonder that our relations with our French allies are as they are. Now you would be forgiven for expecting some gratitude that we were able to drive the occupying Germans from their country in 1945. Despite that it does seem that they get on rather better with their previous overlords than us though. Perhaps being saved from occupation was the final embarrassment after so many earlier ones. Quelle domage.

biglouis

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:09:53 PM »
Ive always said that the French nevcer forgave us for saving them from the Germans!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »
It is a feeling with which I concur
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:00:27 PM »
Just tell them you're Scots, Ecosse, you'll get a different reaction....☺️
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »
Never thought of that, but to be fair, outside Paris, never had any problems
Mike

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »
Not sure they see it that way..What kind of neighbour would we be if we expected some reward for an accidental kindness?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:46:08 PM »
Just tell them you're Scots, Ecosse, you'll get a different reaction....☺️
Kindred spirits? The Scots and English lived in a permanent state of hostility for centuries. I'm not sure that has ceased even now.

richmond62

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:17:27 PM »
Of course it hasn't: you English have shafted us Scots once again.

"All in the best possible taste."

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »
Of course it hasn't: you English have shafted us Scots once again.

"All in the best possible taste."

;D ;D ;D

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:23:17 PM »
At least I can claim personal innocence.

richmond62

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »
I'm sure you can.

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:10:26 PM »
Kindred spirits? The Scots and English lived in a permanent state of hostility for centuries. I'm not sure that has ceased even now.

Scotland and France, the Auld Alliance!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais