Author Topic: Speak French!!!  (Read 925 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Speak French!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:12:47 PM »
Of course it hasn't: you English have shafted us Scots once again.

"All in the best possible taste."

I'm a Scot, I don't see the difference between me living here or my English inlaws living in Scotland.  We're all in the UK aren't we?
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:13:45 PM »
At the moment.....
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:47:50 PM »
There was a film, can’t remember the title for sure, it may have been ‘League of Gentlemen’ in whch Jack Hawkins played the role of retired English officers planning to rob a bank, in which said, planning the masquerade, ‘Remember, gentlemen, the English may remember the Scots, the Welsh, the French,  but they will never forget the Irish
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Akbuk

« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:24:32 PM »
It wasn’t an Englishman who said, “France and Germany are Europe, the rest are just trimmings”.

It was a Frenchman saying it to a German back in the 60s. I think Macron has that attitude.
I’m a real he/him.

biglouis

« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:56:20 PM »
I have French and Scottish ancestry. A rather unfortunate combination considering that Mary Stuart who had her head hacked off by order of Elizabeth I. Well by her ministers, after she had been tricked into signing the document if one legend is to be believed.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Cassandra

« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2021, 11:23:55 PM »
There was a film, can’t remember the title for sure, it may have been ‘League of Gentlemen’ in whch Jack Hawkins played the role of retired English officers planning to rob a bank, in which said, planning the masquerade, ‘Remember, gentlemen, the English may remember the Scots, the Welsh, the French,  but they will never forget the Irish
Mike

It was, a wonderful film fabulous cast, Loved old 'Bunny' who arrived as Hawkins cocktail guest right at the end. As as he was loaded in the 'Black Mariah' said "oh right, going on somewhere are we!"

Priceless ...
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Jacqueline

« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:54:13 AM »
I have French and Scottish ancestry. A rather unfortunate combination considering that Mary Stuart who had her head hacked off by order of Elizabeth I. Well by her ministers, after she had been tricked into signing the document if one legend is to be believed.

It may be right that she was tricked, but my guess is she knew what she was doing.  The only thing that matters to Kings and Queens is to hang onto their throne at any cost, and any plots against Elizabeth, there were quite a few she was on the Pope's hit list, were dealt with harshly. I don't think Mary was a match for Elizabeth.   Facinating stuff our history isn't it? who needs fiction.

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
One problem with history is that it gets written by the winners so is sometimes just fiction anyway.

Thanks for the mention though as it set me reminiscing.

I was rather put off the subject with my O level course which was European Political History over some period I forget. It comprised endless tedious discussion of Corn Laws their Repeal and probable reinstatement. I thought at the time that it was quite likely that the deaf old duffer giving the lesson was doing so from personal memory.

To relieve the tedium favourite pastimes were wedging a ruler under the desk lid and noisily twanging soggy blotting paper up to the ceiling where it stuck. The ceiling at back half of his room was almost entirely pink. On one memorable occasion someone brought in one of those Instamatic Flash Cubes which could be triggered without a camera somehow and produced a few flashes. The teacher looked out of the window at a cloudless sky and pronounced "I think there must be some thunder boys".

I was rewarded for my efforts in the exam with a 9. Sadly O levels ran from grades 1 to 9 with 6 a pass and 9 being the lowest. I didn't take the subject at A level.
So long and thanks for all the fish