Author Topic: Brexit: the funny thing is what the voters thought  (Read 567 times)

richmond62

Brexit: the funny thing is what the voters thought
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:29:03 PM »
Brexit was never, ever in a month of Sundays anything for the common person; but, then again, "British" democracy has never been since the Whig putsch (a.k.a. "The Glorious Revolution"): Oh, in case you didn't know: that's when that Dutch sodomite was made King William the Turd because his 'wife' was King James VII's daughter, and our own, legitimate monarch, James VII was driven out.

The saying that "Britain is a nation of shopkeepers." says it all: and the Whig putsch was all about that and never about anything else.

Brexit is jus the Whigs (i,e the business interests) getting their own back on the Tory thing which tried to circumvent
some of the worse aspects of the Whig hegemony by getting us into the E.U.

The fact that some poor old, fat (well, they are all over weight aren't they, from sitting on their bums in articulated lorries 24/7? No: that's a rhetorical question: gulp and don't answer it) trucky had his ham sandwich confiscated by some Dutch customs [censored], while being tough on the fat trucky, was a song of pure orgasmitude to Britain's shopkeepers, who, once again, can start charging shoppers in the Disunited Kingdom higher prices for the usual, mediocre British goods they were palming off on them before Edward Heath did the magic and liberated the British shopkeeper from "I've got a nice bit of horse meat madam, cunningly disguised as veal."

klondike

Re: Brexit: the funny thing is what the voters thought
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
Lucky for you that you buggered off to Bulgaria or wherever then wasn't it?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:49:44 PM »
Where are you now?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

em

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:04:21 PM »
I think Richmond once said he was hoping to retire to Scotland.Forres area?

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:03:15 PM »
He has a house in or around St Andrews.

richmond62

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:39:39 PM »
Indeed, I have a house in St. Andrews. But St. Andrews is a gae lonely place if you not working in the varsity
or into gowf (boring, boring and expensive).

Personally, I'd like to retire somewhere where most of the people are Scots (not true of St. Andrews: full of Yanks),
I can watch the Moray firth (having been christened in water from the Moray firth . . .), go for walks somewhere slightly
less pansy than Fife, join a bowling club, do some dancing, not have to be "joshed" by rowdy students . . .

I was born in Elgin (very nearly Forres), and have been paying National Insurance contributions for some 38
years . . .

Whether we decide to retire to Hopeman (ideally), Burghead (Um: not sure about the Plymouth Bretheren), Lossie,
or Nairn (bit of a push that one, or remain in Bulgaria will become clear inwith the next 5-8 years[/size]
(due for pension at 67, in 8 years time).

I don't care if fat truckies lose their ham sandwiches.

What I get annoyed about is that a majority of English people voted for Brexit, and now English truckies
are complaining about something that is a direct consequence of what they voted for.

The really funny thing is that the Scots (who voted with a majority to remain inwith the EU) don't seem to
be making such a song and dance about things.

richmond62

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:47:23 PM »
"buggered off to Bulgaria" is putting things a bit strongly.

1. My wife is Bulgarian.

2. What was on offer in 2006 re High schools in Bulgaria was far better
than either Madras College of Bell Baxter, and I'd no money to pay for my
weans to go to the private school; which, anyway, had an ethos that did not
thrill my goriila.

3. In Bulgaria I now run an EFL school and make sufficent money that I was able to
send my younger son to school in Germany (Salem: the sister school of Gordonstoun; a school
that was started by my godfather), and finance both my boys through University (no burden of loans).

4. I would not want to teach in a Primary school in Britain (whether state or private) as would be constantly
paranoid re political correctness and all the associated sh*t. A chap who was at Uni' with me just lost his job
because he said. "That's a nice jersey." to a teenage, female pupil: Why would one want to work in a situation
where one would have to padlock one's tongue?

A lot of the money I have earned by "buggering off to Bulgaria" will be invested in Scotland in terms of a house to live.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:07:44 PM »
I spent every Dundee fortnight through the 1950s in Forres. We went by train, and stayed in the Victoria Hotel. It looked a bit worse for wear when I looked on Google earth.  Across the road was a lovely rose garden, and the carnival (fair) always seemed to turn up for a few days.

Lovely memories of Findhorn beach, and bus trips to Elgin and Pluscarden Abbey. I spent a lot of time in the park with other children from Dundee who visited relatives at the same time.  I've only been back once, and it rained all the time!  I like St Andrews, we used to have days out there, travelling from Dundee on the 'Fifie', long gone since the road bridge was built.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:11:44 PM »
anyway
haste ye back.... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Akbuk

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:07:15 PM »
Indeed, I have a house in St. Andrews. But St. Andrews is a gae lonely place if you not working in the varsity
or into gowf (boring, boring and expensive).

Personally, I'd like to retire somewhere where most of the people are Scots (not true of St. Andrews: full of Yanks),
I can watch the Moray firth (having been christened in water from the Moray firth . . .), go for walks somewhere slightly
less pansy than Fife, join a bowling club, do some dancing, not have to be "joshed" by rowdy students . . .

I was born in Elgin (very nearly Forres), and have been paying National Insurance contributions for some 38
years . . .

Whether we decide to retire to Hopeman (ideally), Burghead (Um: not sure about the Plymouth Bretheren), Lossie,
or Nairn (bit of a push that one, or remain in Bulgaria will become clear inwith the next 5-8 years[/size]
(due for pension at 67, in 8 years time).

I don't care if fat truckies lose their ham sandwiches.

What I get annoyed about is that a majority of English people voted for Brexit, and now English truckies
are complaining about something that is a direct consequence of what they voted for.

The really funny thing is that the Scots (who voted with a majority to remain inwith the EU) don't seem to
be making such a song and dance about things.

It’s a shame that the Dutch customs officers didn’t operate in Belgium. Instead of seeking  out ham sarnies, they might’ve saved the lives of 39 poor souls from Vietnam.
I’m a real he/him.