Author Topic: could lockdown affect our mental health?.  (Read 1349 times)

Floydy

Re: could lockdown affect our mental health?.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2021, 04:05:54 PM »
Us too, Travs.  ;)

Floydy

« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »
Granny Moss, that joke's definately going into my book!  ;D ;D ;D

biglouis

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2021, 05:20:01 PM »
The people I feel sympathy for are stuck at home with an abusive partner, parent or family member. Been there, done it, given away the t-shirt. We didn't have a pandemic when I was a kid but being stuck in a 2 up 2 down with an abusive father does teach you how to be a survivor.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2021, 05:30:44 PM »
It must be absolute hell on earth
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

em

« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:00:50 PM »
BL,I wonder if your wretched childhood accounts for your poor health now.

Raven

« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »
Before the March Lockdown I would have described myself as a bit of a loner, despite living with Himself. He's away from around 7am sometimes taking a flask and sandwiches with him, not returning till evening for dinner, sometimes even heading off again for a few hours, depending on the time of year. So I was mostly on my own all day. Saturday evening came around and we usually headed out for a meal followed by meeting friends in our local for a while. Once a month us Lassies would meet up for lunch and a catch up. Now all that has been taken away from me and I realise I'm not such a loner as I thought. I really miss the way it was.  :'( Now I have days when I'm really down and miserable. I go into feeling sorry for myself mode.........Not that it does me any good. Thank goodness for my precious Dageus.

zoony

« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »
Of course lockdown affects mental health but it's likely different pressures for different people. I've nowt to complain about but nobody to complaint TO if I had.  ;D  But there are lots of folk hurting for a wide variety of reasons.. Not much we can do about it to be sure but hopefully, small kindnesses will be remembered for a long time.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2021, 10:45:52 PM »
Mental health problems like depression and panic attacks are usually attributed to trauma during childhood.

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2021, 10:58:50 PM »
Of course lockdown affects mental health but it's likely different pressures for different people. I've nowt to complain about but nobody to complaint TO if I had.  ;D  But there are lots of folk hurting for a wide variety of reasons.. Not much we can do about it to be sure but hopefully, small kindnesses will be remembered for a long time.

I agree zoony. I think I'm fortunate compared to so many during the pandemic. I miss seeing my family, but I know they're ok, very relieved that my daughter has recovered well from Covid and has returned to work.  None of the family have lost their jobs, and as pensioners, our income isn't threatened. My husband and I still get on pretty well, and my health has improved.  We have a grocery delivery and won't starve!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

granny moss

« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:45:53 AM »
Micky and I were together 24/7.. We were so lucky our jobs made that possible.  We loved pic-nics. On Sundays we packed our Fortnum and Mason pic-nic basket ( given to us as a present ) with the food we loved.  We then went by car to a nice quiet place, under an old tree by a river, if possible....and we had a most precious time together.....gmx

Sheila

« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:39:00 AM »
My daughter is really struggling with trying to do a demanding job working from home, finalising a divorce and home schooling two children.

The daft thing is that I am bored but unable to help her.

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:00:22 PM »
If I had children and had to home school them, work from home either for an employer or my own business and be a homemaker as well I would probably have turned into an abusive parent by now. At least my unregretted decision never to have children saved the world from one more battered child.

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:33:38 PM »
My daughter is really struggling with trying to do a demanding job working from home, finalising a divorce and home schooling two children.

The daft thing is that I am bored but unable to help her.

Its hard enough trying to work and home school children, but that is a big load, especially as I believe she also moved house recently?

Our two older grandchildren are being home schooled, although they are old enough to get on with quite a bit themselves, and they are having online and zoom lessons.  My son and daughter in law are working from home, unusual for him, but the norm for her.  With both parents there its manageable. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »
There are a lot of threads on Mumsnet about this - it sounds like hell trying to get a bunch of grumpy entitled kids to do their work while you do YOUR work.

Raven

« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:48:39 PM »
There are a lot of threads on Mumsnet about this - it sounds like hell trying to get a bunch of grumpy entitled kids to do their work while you do YOUR work.

Your on mumsnet? :o thought you didn't like kids. ???