Author Topic: Eon  (Read 419 times)

brian54

Eon
« on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:06:58 PM »
I was given a renewal quote by EON and British Gas was £100 cheaper so I am moving to British Gas.
Eon have said a lot of bills have gone unpaid because of covid.
What is that to do with me?. I have paid my bills.

klondike

Re: Eon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:24:46 PM »
It pays to check energy providers as soon as you get close to the end of your current deal if there are exit charges and use a site that will notify you when there are cheaper options around. You can move penalty free 49 days before the contract ends.

I use Money Saving Expert cheap energy club. The meercat one are forever advertising a similar service or you can just trawl the comparison sites yourself. There is often cashback to move.

It probably pays to stick with the bigger providers. I used Yorkshire Energy and they have gone under. It's no big deal but does involve some effort. Ofgem have had Scottish Power take the account over. I was in credit and will get that but will have to stay with Scottish Power until it all gets sorted to avoid problems and I suspect at a higher than necessary tariff at a time when I'm using more energy.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:20:02 PM »
I was given a renewal quote by EON and British Gas was £100 cheaper so I am moving to British Gas.
Eon have said a lot of bills have gone unpaid because of covid.
What is that to do with me?. I have paid my bills.

For the same reason as your car insurance goes up due to all the claims for the crashes that you see.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:28:43 PM »
As I'm a member of Unite, we use their collective bargaining whereby they invite the companies to quote for thousands of members & we switched from Robin Hood Energy, just before they went bust, to Octopus Energy.

The next quotation invitation is due sometime in February.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Floydy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »
We switched from npower to bulb energy about eighteen months ago, no complaints so far...

xetog

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:38:35 AM »
I have carefully examined all the tariffs offered to me for years.  It used to be part of my job for one of the biggest energy users in London.  Unfortunately. most people just look at the cost of the energy rather than how the particular combination of energy cost and standing charge effect them.  Historically, we have been away a lot, therefore we can accept a slightly higher energy cost for a lower daily charge. 

Also, I do not use comparison sites as they falsely calculate what your next years costs will be by calculating your future charges using a proportion of the year on your existing companies standard (most expensive) tariff whilst calculating the one you are switching to on the basis of whatever (usually cheaper) tariff they are offering you over the whole year.  Also, watch out for things like cancellation charges which can be as low as zero, but more likely up to £35 per fuel (they are all zero close to tariff end).

Say, like me your tariff ends on Feb 1st.  A comparison site will only calculate the tariff you are on up to Feb 1st, then use the companies normal tariff to calculate the rest of the year.  Of course they can offer a cheaper deal!  So check against what your existing company are offering.

I have been with So Energy for several years now, but their quote was a bit high this year.  The only mainstream company that offered a decent reduction was e-On, who worked out £80 less and nearly captured my business until I noticed that the tariff was dependent on me having a smart meter fitted.  therefore, after checking through all the offers and figures again, I remain with So, who have a smart and informative web site and excellent customer service.

Mike.X

If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:11:09 AM »
Yeah totally agree, these comparison sites do not give accurate best choices, the best way is to compare Gas/Electricity is to check cost per Kw of the various  companies , and factor in daily charges, etc.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:25:11 AM »
And don’t expect it to be straightforward. I gave up worrying some years ago. No two companies that I checked seemed to lay out their charges in the same way
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »
The MSE site which I use does all the calculations for you once you have selected your current tariff and entered your annual energy usage which you'll find on one of your past bills.

They'll tell you whether or not they can offer any cashback but show all available options regardless of whether they get a cut (that's the ones where they pay you cashback)

Examining all the tariffs and doing the calculations yourself for each is a lot of work. Only trouble I have at the moment is that the MSE site has no details of the temporary tariff I get from Scottish Power but I am pleased to see that it beats the one that they are putting forward as my best option.

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/login

So long and thanks for all the fish