Author Topic: EU getting the willies again?  (Read 2184 times)

xetog

EU getting the willies again?
« on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:40:30 AM »
With every day that passes I become more certain that we rightly consigned the EU to the sick bag of history.  Whinging today that their fishing industry is being decimated (just shows how much fish they took from our waters) and 'punishing' us by holding up our exports at the docks.  They are now pretending that we are getting too much Pfizer Coronavirus vaccine and are threatening to stop sending it to the UK.  I can see that they are getting ready to blame us for their dilatory action in approving the vaccines.  A German newspaper yesterday declared that the AZ vaccine is not effective in older people, today it is exposed as a lie!  Does it all not just smack a little of desperation?  We should perhaps threaten to curtail deliveries of the AZ vaccine (which is made in the UK) to the EU, except that we won't because we operate on fairness, not jealousy.  No matter how frustrated we become, I can't see us acting towards the EU, the way it does to us.

Making us get visa's to enter the EU won't work either we had to fight to get in 76 years ago, and have possibly regretted that ever since.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Sheila

Re: EU getting the willies again?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:51:14 AM »
I see that a European MEP wants the EU flag to be printed on every vaccine and on the delivery vans etc. to celebrate their success with the vaccine. 

Words fail me for once.

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »

'nuff said...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:45:50 AM »
Very true
M
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
we need to remember that all those years ago our fathers required no passports
even then the french welcomed the Germans into Paris
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2021, 03:02:06 PM »
They didn’t exactly welcome (apart from some traitors). Every small town in Northern France that I have visited has a plaque on a wall somewhere in memory of citizens of the town murdered by German invaders.
Mike

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:02:46 PM »
Those plaques were put up by the parents and grandparents of most of our current French friends and allies who seem to have better memories for events longer ago than those of the last 100 years.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:04:20 PM »
True, and given that I have never understood the rapprochement
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:12:39 PM »
They didn’t exactly welcome (apart from some traitors). Every small town in Northern France that I have visited has a plaque on a wall somewhere in memory of citizens of the town murdered by German invaders.
Mike

Oradour - sur - Glane, New Aquitaine, West Central France. Entirely eradicated by the SS on the tenth of June 1944, 642 men, women and children were murdered there.

Remains to this day as it ended, a ruinous reminder to German atrocity.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:49:13 PM »
As I recall the EU was several months behind the UK in ordering supplies of the vaccine for whatever reason. So why are they whinging about it now?

The vaccine may be produced at a particular location. However the individual components still have to be assembled and there may be disruption of the supply chain (as a result of CV-19) which obviously affect production. For example, a shortage of glass vials.

The companies who produce the vaccine will order the components and ingredients in anticipation of firm orders coming in. If the EU was dithering about which vaccines to approve then the manufacturers cannot be blamed for hesitating to order up front. Most companies now use the just in time method so as not to have expensive stock lying about taking up space.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:56:22 PM »
Oradour - sur - Glane, New Aquitaine, West Central France. Entirely eradicated by the SS on the tenth of June 1944, 642 men, women and children were murdered there.

Remains to this day as it ended, a ruinous reminder to German atrocity.

Guernica, Spain. 1937. 1664 civilians murdered. At the invitation of Franco, Hitler used it as research for Blitzkrieg.. Immortalized by Picasso. Many such stories are not forgotten and in many cases, not forgiven.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2021, 08:51:23 AM »
The EU refused a supply of the AZ vaccine when the UK ordered theirs and now they want them because the French have so far been unable to get theirs to the starting gate, they want AZ vaccines to fill the gap, but rightly they have been told to get in line.  The EU have been delaying giving approval to AZ, with the result they could not use them if they got their supply.  Germany, I understand, tried to muscle in on those promised to other countries and were threatened with legal action by the EU.

And they think the UK handling of the situation is chaotic. How EU!!!

Mike.X

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2021, 11:18:36 AM »
Right xetog. They placed their order at least 2 months after UK as I recall. Was there not some instruction that individual member states could not place orders as it had to be done centrally? We are well out of that evil empire.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

crabbyob

« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
yes on reflection, i wonder where we might be in the waiting list of getting our vaccine allowance from the belgian gnomes... might an advocate of remain answer for the 'Sprouts'
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

xetog

« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2021, 11:44:21 AM »
biglouis, It's in a crisis that they show their metal and it turns out to be plastic.  I only hope that member nations remember this when it's all over.  They are clearly going to blame it on the bogeyman Brits, but we have broad shoulders.

Mike.X